Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:32 PM   #1

ok so my canon s3 exif info is not displayed correctly when I use various third party viewers and facilities of various photo websites

the File source seems to start with "Canon" then some random chars
ISO never displays, but the ISO values seem to appear instead of the Flash setting eg Flash value says "Unknown: 80"

the canon zoombrowser software displays exif ok, but I triedfreeware exif readers that have this problem and I can see this problem on photo websites that show exif data

I've seen the same web sites with Canon S2 images and EXIF info displays fine so I guess canon changed the exif data for the s3?

can anyone shed any light on this?

thanks

Chris
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:28 AM   #2

Sure wish I could. I've got an S2 IS and have several of my photos in a gallery using Gallery v1.4-pl1 that uses Jhead 2.6 <http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead> to display Exif data. On some photos, it displays the ISO data and on others it doesn't, but it still displays shutter speed, f-stop, etc. in those cases. I get the same results with Irfanview 3.97 <http://www.irfanview.com> and XnView 1.82.4 <http://www.xnview.com>. :sad:
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 4:12 AM   #3

funny you should sya thatbecause this all started when I decided to install Gallery 2 and use it on my web site.....

other sites like photobucket and even the canon site don't display all the info, presumably because its stored in a non-standard way! Still I'm sticking with g2 for now

I can't really comment on jhead but I know g2.1.x has its own exif module based upon Exifixer (http://www.offsky.com/software/exif/)

I'm going to work on patches for the g2 exif module to get it working with s3. I'll have to reverse engineer working from various photos to see what the varying exif makernotes values are

If you can give me a range of images that you think don;t work in g1.4 for your S2 I can attempt to patch g2.1.x for that also
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:18 PM   #4

I've got the ISO and flash exif data sorted for my s3 in gallery 2

thing I have noticed is that if you use Windows XP web publish feature it really screws up the EXIF and g2 can't display it so things like ISO will appear to be missing and a whole bunch of other stuff

upload via web browser preserves all the exif data as far as I can see, haven;t tried gallery remote as yet...

Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:22 PM   #5

That's an interesting observation about G2 & Windows XP web publishing, but I got exactly the same results (ISO of some pictures were displayed and others weren't) with Irfanview and XnView where no uploads of any kind were involved.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 4:00 AM   #6

yes you will have, because they are not reading the Canon makernotes correctly. The problem is that Canon do not publish how they use them. Canon uses EXIF and particularly the Makernotes section different for each model

For example here are values of ISO from the canon maker noteswhich I believe work with Canon EOS models, the G2, Digital Rebel and Ixus

0: Use 'ISOSpeedRatings' from EXIF 'SubIFD' section
15 = Auto
16 = ISO 50
17 = ISO 100
18 = ISO 200
19 = ISO 400

However for the S3makernotes indicate...

14 = Hi
16464 = ISO 80
16484 = ISO 100
16584 = ISO 200
16784 = ISO 400
17184 = ISO 800
"Auto" = Auto

So because Gallery 2 is basially a bunch of php that you can amend I've added some code to deal with the above S3 values. Obvioculsy you can't do this with Irfanview and the like....but maybe you could log it as a bug for those apps?

As I noticed teh Windows XP publish function screws up EXIF I also wonder if the upload feature on some other websites may use the same method and therefore do the same thing.This feature seems to affect Makernotes section only, but unfortuantely for Canon this is a bad thing

On my PC I will alwys use Canon's zoombrowser so thats OK, then on the web now I've fixed Gallery 2 and no not to use Win XP pubilsh feature I should be OK too.