Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 7, 2003, 11:30 AM   #1

Default A70 Beginners questions

I have some very basic questions about digital cameras and the A70. First off I am a point and shoot kind of a guy. My last film camera was a Cannon sureshot 120. So I expect to use the A70 mostly in auto mode, but I suspect I will play with the other modes.

Taking Pictures

The A70 seems to have a long lag between focusing and taking the picture. The lag is about ~1 second. So if I try to shoot my dog, he tends to move away before I can get the picture taken. It is so bad the first time I used the camera I depressed the shutter and nothing happened. So I turner the camera around and then it went off in my face.

Also the lag time between shooting one picture then the next seems to be long. I think it is the fact that it is shown on the display.

Printing/Developing Pictures

I will have my pictures developed/printed at a place like Wal-mart, Target, etc. I don’t want to get a printer and deal with the all the hassles (point and shoot remember). Anyway since most of my pictures will be 4x6 does it matter what resolution, or should I always take the largest picture at the high resolution. This assumes no pre-processing such as cropping. What if I want to e-mail or post on the web these pictures? How do I make them smaller?

I really just want this camera to do the same things as my old film camera right now. Any good pointers on the web for the complete beginner? Should I move (or restart) this thread on the “Nebiews” forum? Any pointers would be helpful.

I sure I will have other questions as time goes on.

Bill
wmgilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:24 PM   #2

I'm sorry, but couldn't help laughing at this ".......So if I try to shoot my dog, he tends to move away...." Well he would, woudn't he!!

And this had me in stitches ".......... It is so bad the first time I used the camera I depressed the shutter and nothing happened. So I turner the camera around and then it went off in my face.

My mental images of that just broke me up!!

Hope you soon get used to the A70 - I've just bought one and am also trying to get my head around the functions - but I haven't been moved to shoot the dog just yet!!!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:15 PM   #3

I too nearly fell out of my chair reading about your experience photographong your dog.

The delay between button press and actually taking the photo seems to be near-universal among consumer-grade digital cameras. If you have a moving object you just have to take a bunch of shots and hope that one happened at the right time. Of course, pix are free with a digi so it's not like wasting money with an film-technology camera.
austex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:31 AM   #4

Default Maybe try the multi-shot feature?

I don't remember the English word for it, but you can set up your camera to shoot multiple shots. Then it takes about 2 photos per second, and you'll have a good chance of getting a good picture.
togt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:12 AM   #5

Default Re: Maybe try the multi-shot feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by togt
I don't remember the English word for it, but you can set up your camera to shoot multiple shots. Then it takes about 2 photos per second, and you'll have a good chance of getting a good picture.
It's called continusous shoot mode. It doesn't work well with flash on though. Other thatn that, it would be an excellent way to capture motion shots if you have a responsible idea where the subject might be. Another method is to use the left eye to track the subject while composing the picture. It seems to difficult for me.

Steve
sfink16 is offline   Reply With Quote