Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1

I sit to doubt yet always between Canon S3 and G7. Temporarily my preference goes from to the G7. The only review that I have can find:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ons-Review.htm

Elca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:24 PM   #2

Do you know when the G7 will be on the market? I can not wait to see it's sample pictures of the ISO400 and above. Do you know what the benefit of DIGIC III over DIGIC II?
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:00 AM   #3

I'd need to see some sample photos (especially at ISO 400 & above - just how good is the noise reduction at high ISO?) before making a final decision, but having 12x stabilized optical zoom on the S3 is really nice. So is the articulated LCD. The G7 has only 6x zoom and a fixed LCD. Are you planning on making lots of prints larger than 8x10"? In that case, maybe the 10 megapixels is worth more than the long zoom. The G7 disables zoom in movie mode, but zoom is available while shooting moview with the S3. If you don't plan on shooting any video, it doesn't matter, but you might get hooked on video. :-)

If you plan to photograph people more than landscapes, flowers, etc., the Face Detection feature of the G7 might be very helpful. An included ND filter is pretty cool for the G7. Finally, there's the matter of proprietary lithium-ion battery for the G7. To be fair, Li-Ion does have the advantage of better shelf life compared to NiMh, but they're a lot more expensive and harder to find than AA NiMh batteries. I carry a set of Lithium AA's with me so that if I've exhausted all of my Ni-Mh batteries in a day (it's happened a few times), I pop the Lithiums in and finish the day. After recharging the NiMh batteries I stow the Lithiums in my bag for the next emergency.

I'm glad I don't have to make a choice right now. I'll stick with my S2 until it dies or I come into a nice bundle of cash.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:54 PM   #4

I thought about the S3 few months ago, but I decided not to get it after I read some reviews. Here are some that I don't like: smaller LCD, No external flash shoe and noisy at ISO400 and above. I wait to see the more details reviews on G7 or wait for the S4 next year.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote