Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:07 PM   #1

Default Camera SIMILAR TO an A70?

I use an Olympus D-150 camera, which is a simple 1.3 MP with optical zoom. It slips easily into my pants pocket. I would like to upgrade to a 3 MP with movie and sound capability, while keeping the Oly's pocket-ability.

The Canon A70 looks like a very good replacement, except for that darn protrusion from the front that holds the fourth battery. If may fit the hand well, but it won't fit my pocket so well.

Can someone suggest a camera with these great A70 features:

- Pocketable (smooth exterior without sharp corners)
- 3 MP
- Optical zoom
- Uses AA batteries
- Audio notes
- Movies with sound
- Manual exposure control available
- Custom white balance available
- Not xD memory

Are there any cameras, other than the A70, with these A70 features? Thank you!
austex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:36 AM   #2

Default Re: Camera SIMILAR TO an A70?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austex
I use an Olympus D-150 camera, which is a simple 1.3 MP with optical zoom. It slips easily into my pants pocket. I would like to upgrade to a 3 MP with movie and sound capability, while keeping the Oly's pocket-ability.

The Canon A70 looks like a very good replacement, except for that darn protrusion from the front that holds the fourth battery. If may fit the hand well, but it won't fit my pocket so well.

Can someone suggest a camera with these great A70 features:

- Pocketable (smooth exterior without sharp corners)
- 3 MP
- Optical zoom
- Uses AA batteries
- Audio notes
- Movies with sound
- Manual exposure control available
- Custom white balance available
- Not xD memory

Are there any cameras, other than the A70, with these A70 features? Thank you!
I know that the Kodak DX6340 has a lot of features but may not have all the you list and the Nikon 3100 is talked about as comparable to the A70.

Steve
sfink16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 5:58 PM   #3
TJS

Default Similar to A70? Panasonic LC33

I too am looking for a new camera and have the same concerns with you. In my reviews and personal observations, the Panasonic Lumix LC33 is very similar, but a bit smaller and lighter in that it does not have four batteries but two and does not have the protrusion on the side. It has a Leica lens and takes some nice pictures as well (check out the samples on Steve's Digacams sample page- he liked it very much). I like them both, and may get the Canon due to its reputation and features.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:49 AM   #4

austex,

I'm just wondering what pocket you want to put this in because, it's really not that bad to have in your pants pocket and, the protrusion makes it a lot easier to hold. Just my opinion though.

Samsung does make a smaller camera, the V3. It's got a manual mode as well as shutter and aperature priority. A 3X optical zoom, movies w/sound, uses 2 AA batteries and SD or MMC cards. Looks at Steve's review of the V4, it's basically the same camera but 4MP instead of 3MP.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:12 AM   #5

The protrusion never bothered me. I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. I had to pull my camera out..... Of course I carry mine in my purse and not in my pocket. I just saw the Panasonic cam, that one is nice. I'm glad I bought my camera already, I'd still be going back and forh on what I should get!

What is so speical about he Lecia lens.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 4:00 PM   #6
TJS

Default A70 size issue

I am almost convinced that you either have to go to an ultra compact if you really want to carry the camera in your pocket fairly often, or settle for a compact and the fact you may carry it occassionially in a pocket or get a case that you can carry on your belt. I have just bought the A70 as a trial and like it very much, but can see that I would not want to carry it in my pocket on a regular basis, which I would like to do for the more candid shots of every day occurrance. So I am still torn on whether to return it and get an ultra. It's hard to decide since the A70 is so much more value (it costs about $100 less) and has a lot more functions and great pictures. I may keep it for now and later just get a tiny $100 logitec or someting like that for the pocket camera - it may be only 1M pixel, but thats not so bad for those spot shots.

Honey, -the Leica lens is well known for quality as are other Euro lens systems, but so are the better Japanese ones, such as Canon. Tomas :roll:
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 2:01 AM   #7

At least take a look at the s230

ritz camera page: S230

I think the only requirement it's missing is the AA batteries, but it does come with lithium battery and charger. I have to admit though, the NiMH AA's work pretty well (cheaper too).

Here's a possible alternative: Could you stick with your Olympus for carrying around for snapshots and settle for a larger digicam and a good case for it when you want to take nicer shots? After all, if the old one still has life in it, why not make the most of it?

Someone mentioned the Nikon 3100. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have sound capability and it's as "bulgy" as the A70, although not as wide.
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 2:12 AM   #8

I own an s230, and I'm very happy with it. Mostly I use it for snapshots, so I don't know how it compares controls-wise with the A70. But it's so small, and that lets me take it around without a second that. 3MP, 2x zoom and movie-mode w/ sound. One downside is that there is no speaker, which is the only thing I miss about my s330. The s400 looks even sweeter, but I bought my digicam too soon for that.
jakerome is offline   Reply With Quote