Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:21 PM   #1

Hi everyone.Can someone confirm if the SD800is image stabilisation works in movie mode?Also,� it appears from product pictures that the microphone has been moved to the top of the camera. Previous models (including my current SD500) experienced a low volume but high pitched whine in the recorded audio of the movie (attributed to be near the microphone being near the lens).Has this changed? Can anyone with a SD800is confirm if the audio has improved? Or make a statement about its quality.Is the microphone now definitely on the top of the camera?Thanks.Nick
nickoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:26 PM   #2

Bump
nickoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:57 PM   #3

This whine you ask about is my only gripe about my camera (A610). At first I thought I had a defective unit but found other people complaining about the same in this forum and elsewhere. But I still thought this was a problem with this particular model.

Then recently I decided to download video clips from the reviews here for different Powershot camera series and was dismayed to find that ALL video samples I downloaded had this whine to different degrees.:shock: The notable exceptions were the S1is, S2is and S3is siblings which have excellent audio quality. I downloaded samples from the following models: A40, A60, A95,A520, A530, A620, A630, A640, A700, S80, S1is, S2is, S3is, S410, SD300, SD630, SD700, G3 and G6.

I bet the SD800 also has this problem. Canon does not appear to give much attention to sound quality inthe video mode. Granted, these are not camcorders but they should have better sound quality.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote