Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1

Does anyone know of any websites or other sources that give the details of what settings the camera is making for us when we use the preset "mode" settings?

I have an A540 which I have been using for a month or so now, and I was displeased with the focus on some of the shots. I started to become suspicious that the reason might be a programmed soft focus in the portrait mode. I have started using aperture priority or even just the P setting to get a sharper focus, with apparent success.

Most of the presets are pretty predictable if you know something about photography, but it took me a while to catch on to the soft focus setting, if that is indeed what I am seeing. Coming to that particular realization kind of made me wonder what else I don't know about the various mode settings.

docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:04 AM   #2

I'll take that for a "no".

What's that line from "The Sound of Music" about an "appalling lack of curiosity"?:-)
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

Me too.

Just started using my new A540, which has all the bells and whistles I've wanted since I got my FtB and read the ads for the F1 (except for a cable release). Been using point-and-shoot since honestly that's been most of my photography since college, but I've missed being able to tweak things.

I'd like to know what all the scene modes are too. Thanks for pointing out about soft focus -- it mentioned shortening the depth-of-field, but it didn't say the subject wouldn't be focused. I'd like to learn more -- sometimes I'll want to do something different, though mostly it will do it better which means I can learn.

I didn't see what the green AF boxes meant until I read Steve's review :-(

There's still a lot to learn!

(Thread hijack alert -- more A540 thoughts and questions)

I've usually used a UV filter simply to protect the front glass of the lens. That's not possible with this retracting/self-covering lens. (And that's what broke on my last 35mm camera, the automatic lens cover.) Is this going to be an issue with reasonable care? Is anybody going to keep a camera for decades? (There are plenty of early postwar rangefinders still in loving use; I upgraded from VGA to 1.3MP only 3 years ago, and now the 1.3MP is obsolete.)

Are there tweaks available within the modes? (I can always go Program and then go to Manual with whichever setting changed, but it might be nice to say "Do what you're doing except overexpose it just a bit.)

Can the time format be set to AM/PM?

What good does the histogram do? I suppose I can review the picture just shot and make adjustments and reshoot -- would it be better if there were a real-time histogram? I understand that the usual shutter and aperture control "brightness" -- what would adjust "contrast" to expand or compress the histogram -- ISO?

Is it my imagination, or does the Flash reset to auto when I turn the camera off and on? Can that be set?
chesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:42 PM   #4

(Correction, the 6-mode full-auto/program/Aperture/Shutter/Manual in the late 1970swas the A1)

And another thing, why isn't there (or how can I get to) a raw or bmp or tiff or otherwise lossless mode?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:44 AM   #5

Hello, I think they are lamost the same on different models:
So read here more about predefined settings on Canon S3IS

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-s3is/s3-gen.php
radkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6

Thank you. (And as expected, I've got camera envy again, especiallyfor the bracketing and time-lapse functions and second-curtain flash-sync, and the rotating display, and the 12x optical zoom..., even though I promised myself I wouldn't start looking again until there was a $200 20 Megapixel prosumer...)

In any case, I can't find the promised Program Mode specifications in that review. Better pointer please? (I did see the discussion that Portrait opens the aperture for shorter depth-of-field, Landscape the opposite, Snow and Beach overexpose [how do they differ?], Night raises the film speed ["sensitivity"], and so forth, but no hard numbers. I have seen hard numbers of the simple exposure curve on the A-1.)
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:47 PM   #7

Hi,

about Program mode, what can be said, it is the same as Auto, the camera decide aperture and speed, adn gives you full control to change everything.

About hard numbers if you find some please share, but I do not thing there is really hard, may be soft, beacuse it will depend of the light and so on ... if you have really hard it would be useless.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:44 PM   #8

I don't know what an "Exposure Value" is (of course if you told me how many Lumens or Candlepowers it is, I still wouldn't know) but I expect that there is a table that at a base exposure, at Auto ISO, at EV1 it is ISO 200, f/3.5, 1/15 second; then with increasing light theshutter shortens to 1/60, then the ISO drops to 100, then the aperture tightens to f/7.3, then .... But in Landscape the next step from f/3.5, 1/15 is f/5, holding 1/15 until smallest aperture and only then shortening the shutter, etc. for all the defined modes.

On the one hand, this is probably proprietary; on the other hand it wouldn't be that hard to write down all the changes in a controlled environment with lamps with dimmer switches.

That's the tables I'd like to see.

Those who learned with full-manual cameras, when even ASA 200 film was grainy and expensive, have a sense for which parameters ought to be varied for what.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:01 PM   #9

I would also like to know the details of these things. And not just for my S3.

From 1999 through June 2006, I borrowed 3 different digicams from friends -- for sporting events, family reunions, and a museum or two. Now that I look back, the settings for many of the shots (outdoor and indoor alike) are just absurd!

One or two models gave me some manual control, and I did not take advantage of it (I could have, I've shot film in the past). In my experience, most digicam "Auto" modes that I have used chose a higher ISO than I would have chosen.

For whatever reason, when I borrowed a camera I did not take as much pride in my work. Now I feel like I "have a dog in this fight". When you know better, you do better.

(I might try the S3 "sports mode" briefly in the future, but probably won't stay with it. I know what I want and how to get it in Program, shutter priority and aperture priority modes.)

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:55 PM   #10

Hi, I have never saw such graph or so many details what is the settings internal in camere, why don;t you ask Canon support and share the information with us?