Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:42 AM   #1

Hi!, i was thinking to buy a digicam with Image Stabilization and since the A710 and the S3 are pretty close in price (at least where i live) i´m leaning to buy the S3 because its extra optical Zoom, movie mode and better built quality, one megapixel less is not a problem but comparing pictures between the S3 and other Canon models including lower end models such as the A630, A620 etc. i noticed the pictures from the S3 show evidently much purple fringing regardless the zoom used, which those other, cheaper, models don´t. Is there a particularreason because Canon S ultra zoom models have this problem considering they are more expensive? i thought the bigger the cam the better their image quality can be... is it because their Zoom?
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:03 AM   #2

Zoom cameras must have compromises compared with fixed focal length cameras because the same lens elements have to accommodate more different positions and focal lengths. But the picture quality differences with today's cameras, relative to pixel size, should be very small.

On average you are better off getting a camera with more optical zoom rather than more megapixels if it is distant shots you are interested in. To get3x zoom performance out of a camera with 2x zoom, or to get 4x zoom performance out of a camera with 3x zoom, you need about twice the megapixels.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:19 AM   #3

ajaynejr wrote:
Quote:
On average you are better off getting a camera with more optical zoom rather than more megapixels if it is distant shots you are interested in. To get3x zoom performance out of a camera with 2x zoom, or to get 4x zoom performance out of a camera with 3x zoom, you need about twice the megapixels.

Well that a camera with at least double the optical zoomis better for distant shots was clear to me but i don´t understand why canon makes such a good camera like the S3 ,and i checked that theS2 also had this problem, and even considering that they´re not in the higher ranges inmegapixel numbers,withthese levels of purple fringing and im not saying that this appears in tele pictures only i noticed it in regular pictures, while the other models mentioned don´t have it. A bit disappointing. It´s not that *´ll be printing posters with all my pictures but when i see a picture with this supposedly very good camera, and when i do some zoom i see a purple line across a column´s sun reflection i feel like quality should be a bit better
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote