Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 15, 2006, 7:13 PM   #1

is there a known error/fix for S2 for the following problem...

camera indicates battery life is out, camera shuts down, but if you open the battery compartment and rearranges them it reboots and works fine

does this using rechargeable and non

thanks
lynne
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:24 AM   #2

Search this forum for old post on this issue. Cycling the power is often enough to clear false low battery warnings. I think shuffling batteries can over stress them (not sure).

Always wipe the battery terminals before inserting them in the camera or the charger. Keep the camera terminals clean. If a battery is a tight fit, see if it is an easier fit in another silo (tight fitting batteries might resist being pressed down onto the contacts).

But I still get these false alarms now and then. I just cycle the power and carry on.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:53 PM   #3

thanks for the info, I will pass it on

sounds like an unfortunate mechanical defect?
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:21 PM   #4

mchnz wrote:
Quote:
Search this forum for old post on this issue. Cycling the power is often enough to clear false low battery warnings. I think shuffling batteries can over stress them (not sure).

Always wipe the battery terminals before inserting them in the camera or the charger. Keep the camera terminals clean. If a battery is a tight fit, see if it is an easier fit in another silo (tight fitting batteries might resist being pressed down onto the contacts).

But I still get these false alarms now and then. I just cycle the power and carry on.

Could you please explain what you mean by "Cycling the power" ?
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5

Cycling the power means just turning the unit off and then back on.

I have to do this with my computer once in a while, even when not over-clocking and running Linux, which is never supposed to crash or have any problems!

As for turning the camera off and then on, sorry, I have not needed to do this -- I just received my S3 today and have not had any problems with it yet.

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:34 AM   #6

saturndude wrote:
Quote:
Cycling the power means just turning the unit off and then back on.

I have to do this with my computer once in a while, even when not over-clocking and running Linux, which is never supposed to crash or have any problems!

As for turning the camera off and then on, sorry, I have not needed to do this -- I just received my S3 today and have not had any problems with it yet.

Thanks.

Now that you explain it, it seems an obvious answer :roll:, but "cycling the power" sounded so technical!!

JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote