Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:57 PM   #1

Hi all,

Just got the S3 IS yesterday. Looks like my ideal camera, I think I'm going to be very happy. I also bought a 58mm UV filter, but not an adapter (I had been waiting for Canon's LAH-DC20 in stock at their e-store).

Since then, I read that Canon's LAH-DC20 kit is plastic (but it comes with a hood, which is good). Lensmateonline has an aluminum adapter for 52 and 58mm (hood avail. separately). And I think Sakar ("Digital Concepts") also has an adapter but no hood (S2 and S3 = same threading, I think -- S1 is different IIRC).

Right now, I'm looking at using UV and polarizing filters (and snap-in lens cap). No lenses, at least not for a while.

It looks like Canon's adapter can handle 52 mm lenses and 58mm filters in one piece, and Sakar's can as well. At lensmateonline, I might need to buy two different adapters, right? (One adapter for UV, one for polarizer, saves me from unscrewing filters and missing the shot. Hmmmm..........)

Is my assessment correct? Who has experience with adapters on these cameras?

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:27 PM   #2

I have the same camer and have just gone through this, too. If you want add-on lenses or multiple filters, you will definitely want to consider getting more than one adapter.

I have a Canon adapter, i think I got the last one, as they were never in stock again at any site I searched. I also got one from bugeyedigital.com. Canon's is plastic and bugeye's is alum. Both fit well. I can't say I have a preference for each one. I did not order any from lensmate, but they give you the option of different sizes. I just stuck with 58mm.

I think any adapter is fine. It is the add-on lens that is the most important part. I have teleconverter by Canon and it works great. There is a lot of reviews online and on this forum.
RenoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:46 PM   #3

Bugeye has accessories? I didn't know that. Thanks!

I'll likely go with lensmateonline's black 58mm (metal, nice looks). This adapter could cause flash shadow under certain circumstances, but the official Canon adapter would as well (same size).

Putting a lens and a filter in one adapter housing is difficult / impossible / undesirable for standard 52 / 58 mm adapters for this model (can be done with other combinations of adapters / lenses / filters, but I want to stay "conventional").

I could get one adapter and hood now. Maybe wait on the other adapter (and linear polarizing filter) because money is tight. Don't know.

Thanks!

Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:14 AM   #4

I too am contemplating what to do re. adapter and add-on lenses

LOTS of people seem to recommend lensmate adapters so I think I will go with that and a hoya UV and polarizer filter and then the raynox 1540 teleconverter

incidentally I believe the raynox add-on lenses are the only ones with a screw fitting on the front that would allow use of filters at the same time.

re. tc add-on lenses looks like Sony, and Olympus are also worth checking out in addtion to Raynox and Canon
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:08 PM   #5

I bought two 58mm adapters, in black. Now that everything has arrived and I have unpacked it all, here is what I learned:

1. The UV filter and polarizing filter both have threads on the front. It is possible to put the UV on the front of the polarizer (less expensive UV protects the more expensive polarizer). The polarizing filter, of course, goes on the adapter.

2. The polarizing filter may reduce light even when it is adjusted to be brightest, and maybe even when there is no polarized light (night, indoors). So I may want a second adapter (with UV only) to protect the lens in those situations.

3. I should have bought one 58mm adapter and one 52mm. I am going to return one 58mm (and possibly get a 52mm and UV). The lensmate site shows a Raynox 6600 (52mm thread) that gives less barrel distortion than Canon's wide angle (58mm thread). You can use another adapter to make a 58mm adapter work with this Raynox, but results may be poor.

4. Any filters may cause problems with the Raynox wide angle. But to me, wide angle implies "indoors" where I won't need a polarizer. For outdoor shooting (nature, equestrian sports / motor sports) I can choose between 58mm adapter and polarizer or no adapter and no polarizer.

I prefer the Raynox wide-angle (52mm adapter) to the Canon (58mm). Don't know if I'll follow through however. Telephoto doesn't interest me. 432mm (12x optical) is quite nice.

As for other brands of lenses, I haven't checked them out yet.

Hope this helps.

Saturndude