Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:41 PM   #1

Im curious how well these work and if they are worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...ndex=1#gallery

This cap looks like it works alot better than the stock cap
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-58mm-Sna...012923?ie=UTF8

canonmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:54 PM   #2

I have a similar lens cover/adapter made by Lensmate on my S1IS all the time. I keep a UV filter on it to which a regular lens caps attaches firmly. I use my camera in dirty, dusty, wet situations and this has kept my lens clean and zoom mechanism running smoothly.

It is less compact, but worth it. Besides, I am used to supporting a camera with one hand on the lens barrel, so his is very comfortable.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:06 PM   #3

I have exactly that setup. I agree with the previous poster regarding keeping your zoom mechanism and lens clean. I keep the adapter and UV haze filter on my camer at all times, unless I am putting on my teleconverter lens, which I have attached to another adapter so I just have to change the bayonet mount instead of unscrewing anything.

They work great.
RenoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:51 PM   #4

sedges and RenoRunner,

Can you please post what UV filters and caps you are using?
canonmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:13 PM   #5

I am using the exact canon 58 mm cap that you posted the link for on Amazon. The UV filter I am using is a Canon 58 mm UV Haze filter. The cap fits right on the filter. However, I use my bugeyedigital adapter to hold my UV filter, and that is what stays on the camera all the time. I bought the cap and filter direct from Amazon.

The bugeyedigital adapter has an extra spacer ring that allows me to put on the filter, then the ring, and then I have threads to screw on the hood that comes with the Canon adapter, when I need it. My Canon adapter is dedicated to my teleconverter lens, which does not have any threads to put anything on the front.
RenoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:52 PM   #6

I got the 52mm adapter for my S1. Didn't want it to block the flash for close work. Keep a Hoya 52mm UV filter on at all times. Have a Raynox macro(49mm) that fits on with a clip adapter that clips securely into the 52mm filter. 52mm clip lens cap is a standard item. I got it all from lensmate.

I have thought about getting a 52mm to 49mm step down ring to keep on the macro instead of using the clip adapter. I do not find that changing screw-on filters or add on lenses to be that big a deal so I only have one adapter and it stays on the camera. Lots of extra adapters would just force me to have a larger case and I like to keep my outfit compact as I am carrying it in my day pack most of the time.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote