Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1

HI I have a powershot a 70, that was working almost flawlessly for the last two years.
My girlfriend swapping memory cards (CFs) somehow managed to bent a couple of the pins that go inside the card. Unfortunately the warranty had just ended so I straightem up with a knife and we managed to transfer the pictures inside the card to a computer.

Now, it won't take pictures and after quite some time (15 sec maybe) shows an error message involving the transfer to the memory card.

I tried to open the camera, but one of the screws is stuck, any advice there?

regards

Manu

ps: I am thinking about buying an a710is if I cannot fix it, so I am not sure If I want to fix it ;D
manulinho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:41 PM   #2

Hi Manulinho72,

I think your A70 saw better days. I was released almost four years ago and definitely not worth fixing. Although and excellent camera it has been superseded by new models with better features. The CF memory card had to be inserted very carefully for the reason you explained. To much force or perhaps a little misalignment could cause the pins to bend (big trouble) The A710i is an excellent camera although I am very partial to the A6xx series. Take a good look at the A630 recently released. The quality of the pictures is absolutely gorgeous and it offers quite a few options. The swivel screen is so convenient that once you get used to it, it would be very difficult to go without it. In addition itis about $100 less that the A710i.

Good luck,

digi-17

PS. Forgot to mention that the new cameras use SD memory card. No pins to bend !
digi-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:03 AM   #3

Thanks digi-17,

I guess it could be fixed but do not know how, I'll try to open it again, bad luck, the idea of having it sitting there no working .

I am more directed towards the 710 because is slightly smaller than the 630 and
has a 6x zoom and has the IS, however I agree the 630 is really god bang for the buck. Good it has sd for the no pins, bad since I have already CF cards.

thxs

Manu

manulinho72 is offline   Reply With Quote