Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:06 AM   #1

Hi!, I´m currently deciding which camera to buy and though none of these are specifically for indoor pictures i´m comparing Canon S3 and A710 for this situation by seeng samples pics in reviews and pbase.com. I really expected similar results since both have the same sensor size (1/2,5") Image stabilization and Iso up to 800. A710 has 1mp more but that shouldn´t be a big advantage but i found that A710 performs considerably better for Indoor/lowlight situations, i´ve seen horrible pictures taken with S3 even with flash fired (I disrigarded noisedue tohighISO since this can be loweredmanuallybut evenso, the pictures look mostly out of focus, grany in the shadows, darkerand blurry in the edges)and acceptable with A710, i´m still leaning towards S3since i think i would miss the superzoom, swivel LCD and goodvideo mode in the A710 but i´m just wondering if i´m right in my conclusion that A710 is better for low light and if this is true why is this?
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:19 AM   #2

I'm also in the same boat with you, however I think Im leaning towards buying the a710. In the end, the A710 is slightly smaller, has slightly more megapixels, uses less batteries (2 AA versus 4 AA in S3).

Also, there appear to be more attachments and accessories for the A710 including a waterproof underwater camera housing. In the end, those benefits make me overlook the smaller optical zoom in the A710.

FYI, I already have a DSLR so missing out on the larger zoom on the S3 wasnt a big issue for me. This really going to be my backup snapshot camera.

Hope this helps.

--EDIT--

Whoops sorry, see you were looking for low light advice.
Jinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:59 AM   #3

Jinkage wrote:
Quote:
I'm also in the same boat with you, however I think Im leaning towards buying the a710. In the end, the A710 is slightly smaller, has slightly more megapixels, uses less batteries (2 AA versus 4 AA in S3).

Also, there appear to be more attachments and accessories for the A710 including a waterproof underwater camera housing. In the end, those benefits make me overlook the smaller optical zoom in the A710.

FYI, I already have a DSLR so missing out on the larger zoom on the S3 wasnt a big issue for me. This really going to be my backup snapshot camera.

Hope this helps.

--EDIT--

Whoops sorry, see you were looking for low light advice.

It´s Ok, let me know if you took pics in low light with the A710 and how well they did, i don´t know why Canon has to make soo many camera models and all of them lacking at least something i would like, i would definitely pay 100 or 200 $ more for a camera thatgathers the best features of all Canon $300-$500 models,the S3 would be perfect for me if it only could take a bitbetter low light pics... the A710 is also great i think i could live with half of the zoom but the swivle LCD is important for me, Thanks!!
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:28 PM   #4

Hi, actually i flipped again.. I ended up buying a Canon SD800 IS as my backup camera, since it was suppose to have 1600 ISO and was pretty portable. I came across a real good deal on it and it ended up being cheaper than the S3 and a710. The delivery date is January so i'll have to run some tests once it comes in

Ditto on Canon and their models. Too many varieties of what appear to be almost very similar models
Jinkage is offline   Reply With Quote