Hi

I,m thinking of getting one of the 3 following cameras :

1-canon powershot S1 IS
2-canon powershot A610
3-canon powershot A540

As u know the video quality and the super zoom of the S1 is irresistable

but i hear many drawbacks specially what is related with dim light focusing

problems in addition to use of Cf cards ,

So what has the least problems and errors ?

Amr Bahgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:06 AM   #2

I had the S1 IS and I loved it. It has the worst EVF I have ever seen, though. But one can get used to it. It has a movie mode, which is clearly better than that of most today cameras, although the outstanding movie mode of the S3 IS is clearly superior. It is a remarkably robust camera. No E18 error or CCD bug and I didn't hear much about problems either. I shot almost 10000 pics within one year. Ok, it only has 3 MP, but rather fine 3 MP I have to say. With its flip out display and its pano assistent this camera is quite versatile. The A610 seems to be also a good camera. It too has such a nice swivel display - only bigger and brighter. Unlike the S1IS or the A540 the A610 has a somewhat larger 1/1.8" CCD, which simply means better pictures. I see no reasons for selecting the A540.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:28 PM   #3

If the options are only 3, I would go with S1-IS. Its features are amazing and you can find the 10x zoom very useful. I used this camera for almost 10 months took around 5000-7000 shots with very good picture quality. No problems with CF cards if got good brand. My camera's CCD failed recently and Canon replaced it with S2-IS.

My personal suggestion with that you go either with S2 or S3.

Rakesh Gupta

rakeshkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:45 PM   #4

I had my S1 IS for about a year, was thoroughly satisfied with it, but then the CCD went bad. I don't think there is an advisory for the CCD for this camera, but I've read that other owners (like rakeshkota) also had the CCD problem.
sgajraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:40 AM   #5

Gajraj,

Canon Asia is replacing the Canon S1 with defective CCD. My camera was replaced by Canon S2. You should talk to Canon Asia office for the repair.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=15&page=3

- Rakesh Gupta

rakeshkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 8:18 PM   #6

Rakesh

Thanks for the advice, but I live in Trinidad & Tobago, West Indies and the camera was bought from the States (Amazon.com) and shipped to the Caribbean via a mail service in Miami. I bought a SD450 to tide me over until I buy the S3. I'm a little wary, so I'm waiting a little while to see if any problems arise with the S3 before I make the purchase... :-)
sgajraj is offline   Reply With Quote