Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:51 PM   #1

I recently bought my first Canon camera...a SD700 IS. I downloaded my first full memory card to my computer today and was surprised to see a folder for each date that I took pictures. My Kodak didn't do this.... To simplify things I would rather the entire download to be in one folder. Maybe when I get more familiar with the camera and it's capabilities I will change or add folders, but for now I would rather keep things simple.

Anyone know how to change the setting? I looked in the manuals and didn't find anything that made sense to me! Thanks for your help.

Ahhhh, I have so much to learn.....
navigatorbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:51 PM   #2

What software did you use to download the pictures? There's a setting in that software which allows you to specify how the pictures will be downloaded (i.e. what folders they'll be put into.)

Personally I use a card reader and don't let the computer run any photo-downloader program, preferring to simply use Windows Explorer to copy the pictures into the folder I want them to go into.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:01 PM   #3

Thanks for your quick reply. I used the software that came with the camera...ZoomBrowser...I think. lol I really am new to all this. Does anyone know which tab I'll find the folder task in? I looked and can't seem to find it.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 5:38 PM   #4

If you simply attach your camera and turn it on to View mode, the Canon Camera Window should come up. There is a Preferences button -- click on that before downloading the images and you can change the auto-download settings. Click on the Change Download Destination Folder radio-button and then click Next.

The following screen allows you to set an overall folder for the images to go into and also lets you define how subfolders get made.

There really isn't any way around having the program put them all into a folder by the shooting date, it's just a matter of how many subfolders will get added to get to the actual shooting date (click the down triangle to see the submenu of options.

But at least you can specify the overall folder for each session's downloads to go into if you wish.

But I would suggest using a card-reader and doing the work yourself like I do, using Windows Explorer. That way you can put them exactly where you want.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:02 PM   #5

I have a Canon S1IS and when I plug the digicam in I right-click the icon and set it up the way I want it. So now that I set it up as soon as I plug the cam in it turns on makes a folder with today's date and copies all the pictures to it. NO special software to install, no card reader to plug in.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:06 PM   #6

Ok, I'll try that....Thanks.

I have to admit that I don't know what a card reader is. Like I said...I have so much to learn. We are going on a cruise and then to WDW in January and I hope to learn as much as I can by then. Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll have tons more questions in the next few months. :-)

Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:39 PM   #7

I agree with dhbailey, get yourself a card reader. They down load faster, they don't use up battery life, and you can select what ever program you want to down load too, in my case I use Photoshop Elements. You can put your photos where ever you want. You get to name the folders what you want to name them.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:52 PM   #8

I looked up "card reader" on ASKdotcom.... I have a slot in my hp printer for my memory card. I don't think I need a card reader.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:41 AM   #9

The printer isn't your computer, though. The slot in your printer is most likely only for printing from the memory card, not for transferring files to the computer.

A USB2 card reader runs between $20 and $30 so it's not a huge expense and it is a very useful tool to have. You can buy one at BestBuy or CompUSA or Staples -- they usually don't even need to have a driver installed, not on WinXP anyway. Just plug them in and then whenever you insert a memory card, it shows up in Windows Explorer as additional hard drives.

Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:30 PM   #10

Thanks for your help. I'll look into getting one. $30 isn't that much. Our printer does transfer files to the computer. It is a HP Photosmart 7550.... I tried it last night but it was really slow.

I think I am going to be sending a lot of time on these boards in the next few months. Taking pictures at this point is trial and error... I really don't know which settings to use.