Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:11 AM   #71

reppans wrote:
Quote:
Anybody try a full battery burn test with the 710 yet.... just to see what she'll do on 2 AAs? I did, in movie mode, and was surprised at the results :shock:.

Movie mode just seemed to be a much more controllable battery test. # of pictures seemed way too variable (what size, over how many days (NiMh self-discharge), how long LCD running, how long composing, flash, I/S, etc) and I certainly didn't want just sit there pushing the button a couple hundred times.

Anybody?:?
Hi!

Depends of many issues...newer per example 2700mAh batteries will last longer, specially IF you charged just before you intended to use them inside the camera.

Per example I use GP brand 1300mAh 3 years old ones, I as I never will make "Movies' with my lovely A-710 camera, using 90% the "Tiny" viewfinder..., before the camera shut out himself & inform me to replace the batteries I was able to make 45 photos, 1/3 of that quantity with flash & the rest flash off. So...if you will use newer 2700mAh ones fully charger in a good charger like I just acquired from "T-D" the Lacosse BC-900U...which REALLY charge the batteries 100% well do it...I'm sure that at least 1gb SD card as I own a Trancend 150x speed...you will able to finish the card with a single pair of batteries!:?

Good luck,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:25 AM   #72

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
...Per example I use GP brand 1300mAh 3 years old ones, ... I was able to make 45 photos...
Hmmm, I tried some 3 yr old NiMh 2000mAh Radio Shacks, which a single AA powers my MP3 for 25 hours, in the 710. Fully charged, I turned the camera on... and it immediately shut itself off due to low batt :sad:.

But I've got some great 2700's, w/ a great charger now :-).
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:34 AM   #73

reppans wrote:
Quote:
Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
...Per example I use GP brand 1300mAh 3 years old ones, ... I was able to make 45 photos...
Hmmm, I tried some 3 yr old NiMh 2000mAh Radio Shacks, which a single AA powers my MP3 for 25 hours, in the 710. Fully charged, I turned the camera on... and it immediately shut itself off due to low batt :sad:.

But I've got some great 2700's, w/ a great charger now :-).
Hi,

Depends...if ONE battery is extremely LOW...the camera don't work as must be!, as ALWAYS work in pair...so the BOTH batteries MUST be extremely equally in charge/live level!

It's great that you buy newer 2700mAh batteries, BUT...BUT...the charge is also extremely important...specially that need to charge EACH battery separately, & NOT in pairs...such type of charge cost more!!!:P

Best wishes,

Alec 007:|
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:33 AM   #74

Clearly the 4 battery design of the A610-40 is more efficient than the 2 battery design of the A710. However, if you have a set of decent batteries, the battery life of the A710 is quite surprising. Expensive 2700 mAh batteries are certainly better, but not necessary. I bought 4 2100 NiMh batteries for €1.99 at a local discounter and they work quite well. About 250 shots even in the winter. As Alex said you should have a high quality charger, which charges each cell separately. To extend battery life you should configure image stabilisation such that it only becomes active, when you press the shutter button. You can extend battery life significantly by disabling the display. However, the optical view finder of the A710 is poor and for emergency only.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:27 PM   #75

Well, I have to disagree on the individual bank charger now.

I bought set of 2700s from J&R Music/Computer with an individual bank charger and could not get more than 20mins of video out of any combination of batteries (alkalines will yield over 30mins of video on my 710). Returned and tried another set/charger with same results. I'm not faulting the individual bank charging method here, but rather the manufacturer/brand "[no]Power2000" made in China... what garbage!

So under this site's recommendation http://www.steves-digicams.com/lightning4000.html I bought a charger and set of 2700s from RipVan100. Did lots of reading on his website and forum, which had more info about NiMh batts than I've seen anywhere on the web. I'm not new to rechargeables, and know Li-ions better, but I learned a ton.

The essence of pair charging was that NiMh seem to have a resistive level at which the batt doesn't want to take more charge and at which it doesn't want to discharge below 1.1v. So used, and charged, in pairs, the battery which is at its resistive level tends to push addition drain, or charge, to the other battery, which can take it. Over several cycles, the pair becomes consistent together, both with charge and discharge times/capacities, in what could be considered battery "tag teaming."

Everything I've read on RipVan's site is consistent with what I experienced over many years of rechargeables. And there are lots of people have moved over from LaCrosse and Maha chargers.

Proofs in the pudding though.... I've only had time to test one set of the 2700s, within a 24 hour period so no significant self-discharge..

:shock: 3.5 hours of video :shock: :G

Using a 2 gig card:

-640x480, 30fps (about 10mins) for the first gig, 15fps (about 20mins) for the second gig. Reformat card, start over, with random rest/cool down time between gig recordings.

- I reformatted that 2 gig card 7 times!.. She finally showed a low battery warning on the 15th (!!) gig of recording.... unbelieveable. (I got 30mins or 2 gigs on alkaline before low batt indicator).

I really really like this camera now.

Aside from the charger, the Sanyo batteries are absolute top shelf. Now my problem is going to be using the batts fast enough so that self-discharge does not become a problem. I think I'm going to need the Eneloops now.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:51 PM   #76

reppans wrote:
Quote:
The essence of pair charging was that NiMh seem to have a resistive level at which the batt doesn't want to take more charge and at which it doesn't want to discharge below 1.1v. So used, and charged, in pairs, the battery which is at its resistive level tends to push addition drain, or charge, to the other battery, which can take it. Over several cycles, the pair becomes consistent together, both with charge and discharge times/capacities, in what could be considered battery "tag teaming."
Interesting thought. It is true that for optimal performance the two batteries should have rather similar performance. The above process may equalize performance of a baatery pair. However, this method also constantly overcharges one battery and this is certainly not good for a battery. If you use a pair of batteries always jointly, then also performance should get equal over time. I think that you simply got some very poor batteries the first time. Have you used pair charging also on the first batteries from China?
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:45 PM   #77

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
Interesting thought. It is true that for optimal performance the two batteries should have rather similar performance. The above process may equalize performance of a baatery pair. However, this method also constantly overcharges one battery and this is certainly not good for a battery. If you use a pair of batteries always jointly, then also performance should get equal over time. I think that you simply got some very poor batteries the first time. Have you used pair charging also on the first batteries from China?
I understood it that this resistive level inherent in the batteries helped prevent overcharging, or over discharged buy shifting charge, or discharge, to the other battery. It just seems that a charger or camera will seek the path of least resistance in its operation, and that would be the battery that is not at its resistance level.

Yes, as mentioned above, I don't fault the [individual bank] charging method or charger.... it was the [no]Power2000 batteries that were cr*p. A couple were even so stone dead, fresh out of the pack, that its own charger would not even recognize it.

It is possible that a good pair charger could have revitalized some of those batteries with several charger/discharge cycles... but their hugely volatile state of health, fresh out of the box, was so disconcerting, I said forget it.... just return the damn things.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:16 AM   #78

reppans wrote:
Quote:
kassandro wrote:
Quote:
I understood it that this resistive level inherent in the batteries helped prevent overcharging, or over discharged buy shifting charge, or discharge, to the other battery. It just seems that a charger or camera will seek the path of least resistance in its operation, and that would be the battery that is not at its resistance level.

Yes, as mentioned above, I don't fault the [individual bank] charging method or charger.... it was the [no]Power2000 batteries that were cr*p. A couple were even so stone dead, fresh out of the pack, that its own charger would not even recognize it.

It is possible that a good pair charger could have revitalized some of those batteries with several charger/discharge cycles... but their hugely volatile state of health, fresh out of the box, was so disconcerting, I said forget it.... just return the darn things.
Hello!

My Christmas's gift to myself!

Hello!

Just less of a week ago I received my ordered from Thomas Distribution my #: 24 charger since I commenced as a technical photographer near 4 decades ago...for sure after all the expenses on shipping + our locally highly taxes/VAT...will be my last charger.

A link with the photos that I shoot, of "HOW" obtain an much better ventilation! Enjoy!!!

http://mail.google.com/mail/?disp=im...f960d959b17661

Peace,

Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:32 AM   #79

Hello Canon P&S fans!

Today another example of the goodness of my A-710 IS lens performance!

For your enjoyment

Peace,

Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:13 PM   #80

Great pictures, Alex, great presentation!

Can you tell me what image hosting website you use to post your pictures here at Steve's? I have an A710 too, just like you, but then I dropped it and now it doesn't work. :angry:

I still have plenty of pictures saved. Before I dropped the camera, all the photos came out good except for the ones that were shot zoomed in. Half of those would come out blurry, while the other half were so-so / mas o menos. :angry:

Now I think I will buy the A640. So what image host do you use to post here at Steve's? :?

RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote