Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:58 PM   #1

Can anyone give any assistance on using the 9-point AF on the A85. I have had the camera for awhile and we just resorted to using it in Program mode to get a decent picture. The problem has been that the 9point will not focus on the "right" things. We were getting lots of pictures with the subject out of focus, but some other item in focus. Playing with the focus lock and watching the screen was "confirming" this. We could not get the focos boxes to choose a persons face in people pictures, for example.

I can alos not find in the manual, though I see it in reviews, how to change the auto mode from 9 poiunt to 1 point. At least then we wouldn't have to worry about the other settings when just tying to point and shoot.

We have experienced the same focusing situation on a relatives newer Canon.

Figure there is something I am missing, but just haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks for any help or explainations.
SGroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:59 AM   #2

Hi !,

If the A85 is similar to the A95, and I suspect it will be, then AF settings are accessed via the menu button ... first item in the listunder the Camera icon. Note the settings available vary with the operating mode selected. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I was looking mostly for an explaination of the 9 point AF problems.

Thanks again.

Steve
SGroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:38 PM   #4
Administrator

SGroves wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone give any assistance on using the 9-point AF on the A85. I have had the camera for awhile and we just resorted to using it in Program mode to get a decent picture. The problem has been that the 9point will not focus on the "right" things. We were getting lots of pictures with the subject out of focus, but some other item in focus. Playing with the focus lock and watching the screen was "confirming" this. We could not get the focos boxes to choose a persons face in people pictures, for example.
It's probably selecting the closest point it can find with good contrast in the frame, with the algorithms likely leaning towards something closer to the center when light/contrast is good enough.

But, chances are, the focus is fine for your subject, too (unless you're zoomed in much). You've got pretty good Depth of Field with most smaller cameras like these, so it would have to be pretty far off to make a lot of difference unless you're pretty close to your subject or zooming in much.

Are you using a flash? As a general rule, when someone thinks they have a Focus issue with a new camera, it's usually not a focus issue. It's usually a shutter speed issue because they're trying to use it indoors without the flash (and what's bright to the human eye is not to a camera's lens).

If you want to post a sample image (and it would be a good idea to downsize it to around 640 pixels wide for posting), we could take a look at the camera settings (aperture, shutter speed, etc.).

But, if you're not using a flash indoors, that's your most likely problem (blur from camera shake and/or subject movement. If you're seeing sharp furniture at times with a blurry person, that' s what I'd expect to see if you're not using a flash indoors because shutter speeds without one would be slow enough to cause blur). ;-)

Quote:
I can alos not find in the manual, though I see it in reviews, how to change the auto mode from 9 poiunt to 1 point. At least then we wouldn't have to worry about the other settings when just tying to point and shoot.
Your model's review here shows the menu screens. To disable the automatic focus point selection, turn AiAF Off.

You'll need to shoot in Programmed Auto (the P on your mode dial) versus Auto to see the menu selection to turn it off (the Green Auto Mode assumes that the camera makes the focus point decisions for you and you can't change it).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/a85_pg3.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote