Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:35 AM   #1

Has anyone had an issue with red with the A710? I am considering this camera but had heard there was a problem with red eye? Any observations?

Thank You,

Tommy
wietelcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:50 PM   #2

wietelcutt wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone had an issue with red with the A710? I am considering this camera but had heard there was a problem with red eye? Any observations?

Thank You,

Tommy
There's not one point & shootdigicam you can buy that will not give you redeye.

Redeye reduction modefor the most part is marketing hype vs. the reality of what you are going to actually get. The simple fact of the matter is the built-in flash is too close to the lens with any built-in unit. There will be people less suseptible to it, and in certain situations (like outdoors)with the ambient light levels redeyemay be less or even not there, but you WILL experience redeye at some pointwith any point & shoot with a built-in flash unit. That is a 100% fact. People who shoot with digital SLR's with interchangeable lenses resort to flash brackets because with tele zooms even a separate shoe-mounted flash unit will produce redeye.Haven't you ever wondered why they don't call it redeye ELIMINATION? Quite simple, it doesn't.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:16 PM   #3

So what you are saying isone cameradoes not have aworse red eye problem over another camera? Since they canall cause red eye, it lies in the particular subject being photographed? I see that the info I got on this particular camera was purely an opinion. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Tommy
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:43 PM   #4

wietelcutt wrote:
Quote:
So what you are saying isone cameradoes not have aworse red eye problem over another camera? Since they canall cause red eye, it lies in the particular subject being photographed? I see that the info I got on this particular camera was purely an opinion. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Tommy
Some designs are better, but none are perfect. Some p&scameras, like the Fuji E-900 have pop-up flash units to try and do a better job, but if someone laid a line on you that the A-710 will prevent redeye, you can print this off, give to them, ask that they drop me a line and I'll ask them why they tell people stuff like that. It just doesn't happen.

You have a better chance of preventing redeye by picking a camera that gets the flash as far away from the lens as possible- something that is difficult to do within the point & shoot crowd because everyone today makes everything so small.

Take a look at this image shot with a Canon A700. Kinda looks like the Devil bowling doesn't it?

http://www.pbase.com/image/66554450

Something tells me this guy's eyes are not naturally red..

http://www.pbase.com/image/66380134

Here's an outdoor shot, using fill flash. The bright outdoors cause a persons pupils to constrict, so the chances of having redeye go down dramatically, like here. Outdoors, or indoors in rooms with windowsthat are brightly lit are your best chance to avoid redeye...

http://www.pbase.com/image/67148722

Indoors/ in normal house lighting or in the evening redeye is almost a foregone thing. There are people who sometimes are more apt to have redeye than others, too. Redeye is also worse the further you zoom the lens into the tele range. Your best chance of NOT getting redeye is to shoot at the widest setting. The more you zoom in, the better your chance of getting redeye.

Does this look like an image shot with a camera that is redeye-proof? Take a look below the imageto see what it was shot with. This is your future indoors in low light...

http://www.pbase.com/mad_monte1/image/68713565
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:30 PM   #5

I am understanding you. It sure didn't make me feel any better seeing the pic from the 710. Same old problem, everything up front is lit brightly but everything behind is dark. My old Sony Cybershot (3megapixel) takes better pictures than that. That was my first camera and it has lasted years with no problems. I just wanted to upgrade to a better quality pic to be able to print good 5x7's and 8x10's. My Cybershot would cause red eye but the red eye reduction did help. It caused a lag but it did help. Is red eye something thatI need to not pay attention to as much as something else? I just want a camera with a better zoom and a few more pixels than my old one. Size really isn't too big of a factor as long as my wife can get it in her purse in a pinch. I have to admit that I am lost. It's like choosing a car! Crazy! Any opinions or cameras for me to check out? Thanks for your help.

Tommy
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:50 AM   #6

Hi Tommy.

As ALL digi pics require some enhancing, red eye is a non event and not worth worying about as I'ts easy to fix.

The free Gimp or Phoptoshop elements is highly recommended.

Of much more importance is theamount of noise and the A110 IS is not bad.

Cheers

Malcolm
Callum Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:14 AM   #7

Hi,

I got the G7 and I fixed the dark background + red eye when indoor low light by:

- Flash set on -1 EV with slow synchro on ==> results are good.

- or better, no flash at all:-)!

I don't know if you got such settings possibilities on the A710, but if yes, just try them.

Xophe

Xophedebx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:55 PM   #8

I was here looking to upgrade my Fuji Finepix F700 for something that is a bit better in low light. I am amazed at the red eye from the Powershot A710. In the two years I have had this little Fuji camera I have rarely had red eye. I am thinking I had better just keep on looking.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:15 PM   #9

Shari,

My friend owns a CanonA510 and gets terriffic flash shots ... BUT, darker the setting the more the 'eye' will be open, hence more chance for red eye..... I also own what was a $1200 Olymous with the same result.. Firing off the red eye reduction helps but mostly i remove red eye with one click when doing post processing. For freebie photo programme, take a look at Picasa2 ........ Does small edits like red eye, cropping, printing and cataloguing .

I am also in the market for new camera, and the A710 appears to fill the bill.. AA batts, and nice zoom.... Would like the Canon XTi, but again size and extra lens make it bulky for every day toting around .

Best wishes,

Michael .. in BC
Rebelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:31 PM   #10

Hi Michael - thanks for you comments. Since I wrote that post I have looked at cameras and I would prefer something slimmer and smaller than the 710. I also have a Fuji S5200 with a 10X zoom. I am now having trouble with the decision of viewfinder or not. There are so many issues to decide on for what is best for me. I do have Photoshop Elements 5 for post processing so don't really worry about red eye. I do know that I want at least a 2.5 LCD screen - now that I have seen them.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote