Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 7, 2006, 7:10 AM   #1

OK,

I'm researching digicams to buy my mother-in-law for Christmas. I'm strongly considering one of these two cameras. What I'm wondering though is: what does the SD600 provide, ability wise, to warrant $70 more? The ultra-compact size isn't a bonus in this situation. Is there some other benefit to the SD600?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:08 AM   #2

Nope, youre paying for the size. A laptop does not offer more than a desktop other than size but you pay more.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:40 AM   #3

Yeah,

The A540 is small enough. Despite what I perceive to be poor quality LCD (after playing around with it in the store) I think this is the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for the confirmation.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:09 PM   #4

The LCD is a bit grainy on the a540, but it doesn't hinder the use of the camera.

The a540 has two features that I consider a significant advantage: AA batteries, and a bit more zoom (topping at 140mm vs 105 mm 35-equivalent).

The other gripe I have about the a540, after owning it for about 3 months, is that the flash recharge takes several seconds. There are plenty of times when you'll be waiting on it to be ready for the next shot. Don't know if the SD600 is better at that or not.

Haven't found the perfect pocket digicam yet. I'm looking for one with all the versatility of my T-90, using one AA battery, with a flash that reaches to 60 feet and recharges before the previous shot is cleared from the screen. And pocketable, of course!

I crack myself up!
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote