Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:55 PM   #1

Has anyone else noticed that recent Canon digital cameras seem to display erroneous information in the EXIF info. I recently purchased an Ixus 850IS and was surprised to find that the ISO value was recorded as 16464 (other)

I've done a little more research & have found that the Power Shot A640 & Power Shot A710IS also display 16464... previous Canon cameras always displayed this info correctly, so what's gone wrong !

bazza_101

bazza_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2006, 5:36 PM   #2

I have noticed this as well. I took pictures in Program mode and write down what the numbers stood for. Note that if you use "auto", you will need to very, very critically examine the picture afterward to guess the ISO setting used.

Also, there are a couple of other standards other than EXIF. Canon puts data in "makernotes" (don't know how widely "makernotes" is accepted). In time, freeware and third-party software (picture viewers and EXIF readers) should be updated to interpret these new data fields.

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:07 PM   #3

Okay, I rebooted into Windows and looked at my recent practice shots. Here is what I found:

16464 = ISO 80
16484 = ISO 100
16584 = ISO 200
16784 = ISO 400
16184 = ISO 800

The ISO will be shown correctly on playback inside the camera. EXIF readers and other software will likely be updated to render "plain english" ISO numbers soon. If your model has other ISO choices (like 50, 64, 320, etc), I don't know what numbers Canon will use.

The info in EXIF, makernotes, etc. may help me become a better photographer. I'm still learning.

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:03 AM   #4

Thanks for info, so you recon there is a new standard about to be released, that's very interesting as the service people at Canon don't seem to know about same, below is their reply to the ISO question.

Dear Customer,

You could try to reset the camera to its default settings by pressing and holding the Menu button for 5 seconds. If this problem persists in different modes; the camera should be checked and repaired by a Canon authorized service centre.

Thanks for your conversion table.

Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:10 PM   #5

Here's a fix to my own problem !!

So far I've only found one piece of software that displays the ISO info correctly..... EXifoPro http://www.exifpro.com/index.html this displays Canon EXif data, non of the common photo manipulation software does, that includes Photoshop, PSP & Irfanview etc.

So if you want to check what ISO setting you've used get EXifPro, may even consider buying it, although there are no restrictions on the downloaded version.

Thanks for your interest.

bazza_101

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:55 AM   #6

I'm able to get some ExIf with IrfanView (My favorite non-bloated Swiss Army Knife software -- but I'll try your recommendation to see what I'm missing) under Image|Information... (shortcut key I)
chesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:51 AM   #7

Nevermind - except for Auto, the current version of IrfanView shows only the encoded ISO numbers.

Big grumble: What kind of ISO is "Auto"? That's a method the camera used to determine what ISO to use, but it ultimately determined some level, just as it may have automatically set the Av and Tv.

Like SaturnDude said, all of this information helps us learn. It is much easier to learn when and how to vary the ISO if you've got a starting point for what the "experts" programmed.

Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:30 PM   #8

Irfan, the author of the popular Irfanview program has updated the Exif.dll plugin so that it now displays the ISO value from the extended character set correctly, it will be available in the next update to the program, but if anyone can't wait that long, let me have your email address & I will forward same to you.

BTW Canon's own Zoombrowser program does display all the info I was complaining about correctly, it's just that I don't particulalry like this bloatware !

Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:33 AM   #9

As you would expect Zoom Browser works OK because it is canon software

I recently investigated this quite a bit because I struggled to get Gallery 2 to report the correct EXIF info. The ISO is stored differently to how pretty much all other manufacturers do it and they use a seciton called "maker notes".

If anyone needs a gallery 2 fix then let me know, but I reported it to the gallery 2 developers so hopefully they'll add it to their next release. Actually if you search their forums you'll probably fnid the fix also. see http://gallery.menalto.com

also see here nother discussion about the same thing

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

anyway, I dropped Canon an e-mail and they said they do not publish how they use EXIF tags and the only way for me to find out would be to join there developer program...which is free, but aimed at businesses developing photo software and not individual consumers

cheers Canon
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:38 PM   #10

I fired up ZoomBrowser for the first time. I found the shuter/aperture/length/mode information hotkey. How do I get to the rest of the ExIf?

Is there a double-secret place where the camera stores the results of "Auto" for things like ISO? (As alluded to multiply above, the more data you've got the more knowledge you can gain.)