Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:04 PM   #1

Ok.. new guy here. I'm reading through the instruction book but not finding anything. Maybe I'm overlooking it.... or maybe I'm overthinking it.

How the crap do you turn off the flash?

If I leave the flash shut, it blinks and says "raise teh flash".

Well.. maybe I don't want to raise the flash. Is there another setting somewhere I'm missing? Or just keep it shut and ignore the message?
Nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:34 PM   #2

Just ignore the suggestion and take the picture. Your camera will still take once you push the shutter all the way down.
RenoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:43 PM   #3

Nyper wrote:
Quote:
Ok.. new guy here. I'm reading through the instruction book but not finding anything. Maybe I'm overlooking it.... or maybe I'm overthinking it.

How the crap do you turn off the flash?

If I leave the flash shut, it blinks and says "raise teh flash".

Well.. maybe I don't want to raise the flash. Is there another setting somewhere I'm missing? Or just keep it shut and ignore the message?
Do you maybe have it on the green zone setting? Switch it to P. Reno is right, you can still take the pic with it down.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:27 PM   #4

I did a thread on this over at http://www.canons3is.com. I honestly thought the manual could have been more helpful.

Leave the flash closed. That is the only think I can think of.

If you were wondering, the "flash adjust" only appears under the "menu" button when in aperture priority and shutter priority modes and only affects those modes (page 82).

There is a button near the left anchor for the neck strap. This changes the flash between "on" (mandatory, always used) and "auto" (camera logic decides) (not between "auto" and "off" like I thought). I'm still looking for the manual page on that.

The flash was always so easy to turn off on those 2 MP "bar/party" cameras, I wondered how it could be SO HARD on the S3. Just leave it closed. I guess it's easier than I thought.

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote