Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:32 PM   #1

Please bare with me for this question because i don't own any canon digital camera(i stillkeep my only Canon, theAE1 Program SLRthat my father bought me in 1982)

For most full manual control canon models such as A710 IS or S3 IS, when you set model dial to Aperture priority, can we see the speed reading on the LCD without pressing shutter button halfway? The same when we set to speed priority, can we see the aperture reading w/o pressing shutter halfway?

I tried a few canon at my local BB today. Maybe there's some setting that ineed to adjust in the menu but i don't know how todo it.Sony H2/H5 has this feature. Even myvery first digi camera, the 1999 model Olympus C-2000 has this feature too.

Any Canon user light me up please. :?
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:42 AM   #2

Hello, I have canon s3IS and you have to press shutter button halfway.
If any camera has such functions it means it continuosly measure expousure and define the spper/aperture which will make shorter battery life. Anyway I think the need to press shutter button halfway is not a big deal ;-)
radkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:06 PM   #3

Thanks for reply radkol. I also got the answer from Canon.:

Unfortunately the shutter speed does not appear prior to achieving exposure with a half-shutter press.

It may cost some battery but it's fast and convenient with that feature. Sony H2/H5 can do that too. I hope canon can make that feature happen for their G8and all their nextpowershot series. Better make it user option in case theppl wanna save some power.:idea:
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:35 PM   #4

Hello,

INteresting, what is the official canon statement?
What did they tell you?

Yes you are right it is comvinient but for me it is not so important, since if I have to be fast I have to choose onother mode, or will shoot with aperture/speed I have choosen, in case you do not like them you will waste enough time to change it in both cases ;-).

The other point is that I do not thing such option very usefull in sepacial metrinc mode as spot or central waight, the camera will got crazy expresioning new Ap/Tv every moment while you just move your camera nad decide what to shoot ;-).

Anyway intyersting option I didin't know for it on Sony and Oplimpus.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:57 PM   #5

Replies from Canon Canada

When adjusting the aperture in the aperture priority <Av> shooting mode, the shutter speed set by the camera will appear in the LCD monitor when the shutter button is pressed half way. Unfortunately the shutter speed does not appear prior to achieving exposure with a half-shutter press.

The shutter priority mode <Tv> operates in the same fashion. The aperture set by the camera will not appear unit the shutter button is pressed half way. This functionality applies to the PowerShot A710 IS and the PowerShot G7.

and replies from Canon USA are pretty much the same.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:20 PM   #6

Hello Rad, why we want camera with full manual control? To control more manually right? otherwise we can just get an elf that can fit into shirt pocket anyhow.

This is usually how i take indoors pictures especially my 6 months old:

No flash; Set ISO 200 or lower if i got good light; Set aperture prioritytothe largest F2.8;bring camera tobaby's face and seedifferent speed reading (without pressing shutter halfway of course). The shutter speed would change a little asi movemy camera around andlet's say i got speedfrom 1/60 to 1/100.

i usually chose the slowest(brightest) speed or maybe the second slowest. And i pressed AE lock. (canon powershot seriesdon't have ONE button for AE lock). stay back, recompose and take 3 continuous shots.

The picture, especially the baby's faceis bright and clear(sometimes tha backgroundmay betoo bright). Some people thought it was done by professional:lol:

It's not i don't trust canon's exposure system. but it'sbetter toget the reading from different spots of your object rather than just one.

SO... i can't live with the camera that does not have thefunction i just mentioned here. No G7 or any canonfor me this year:sad:

Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:44 PM   #7

Hello Caddie,

Yeah it looks useful in some situation but we cannot have the best of different cameras in one model unfortunatelly ;-(. I suppose it would take nothing to Canon to make it as option but depends of waht they decide. Many of settings are made according their vison.

Sounds interesting, show some good pic then, I have to try your method.

Actually you can set AE lock as shortcut, that's waht I made, register AE lock as shortcut button and you have it with one button press ;-) simple and easy.