Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:47 PM   #1

Hello,

Well, after much researching and collecting info, I have decided to purchase the A710. I have a few morequestions if anyone could help me.

1. Would it be a good idea to buy and added slave flash?

2. If yes, which should I research?

3. Does anyone recommend a larger SD card? Like a 1 GB?

4. Do SD brands matter?

Thanks,

Tommy
wietelcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:56 AM   #2
Administrator

wietelcutt wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

Well, after much researching and collecting info, I have decided to purchase the A710. I have a few morequestions if anyone could help me.

1. Would it be a good idea to buy and added slave flash?

2. If yes, which should I research?

3. Does anyone recommend a larger SD card? Like a 1 GB?

4. Do SD brands matter?

Thanks,

Tommy
1. Yes, if you intend on doing a lot of flash pics, especially if you need to illuminate things beyond 10 feet or you need to use flash and telephoto.

2. The only one that makes any sense is the Canon High-Power Flash HF-DC1, see our 710 IS review, page 2

3. At today's prices I'd go for a 2GB card

4. Any brand name is a safe bet - Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston, ATP, etc. Just buy them from known vendors, steer clear of ebay.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:58 AM   #3

I am unhappy with my A710. I have had it 2 months and it seems that I can't get a consistent good picture. What am I doing wrong? My Sony was so easy, all I had to do was point and shoot, it was wonderful. This camera either takes the pic too dark, too green, too yellow, too fuzzy. The picture I included was taken on auto at 9am in the morning with one lamp on, the ceiling fan light on, and one drape pulled open. Why is it so dark, greenyand grainy? I took inside pic's at a Christmas party the night before and they are all yellowish and blurry using the auto setting. My friend used her new Olympus and they were "whiter" and clearer. I would love some advice. What am I doing wrong?

Tommy & Susie
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:37 AM   #4

I took this same picture thatI posted, under the same conditions, on manual, with the settings where I thought they should have been, and the picture was not much better. I even had the flash turned all the way up in one attempt. This camera takes wonderful natural light pictures and even outside pictures at night but inside low(lower) light pictures are poor. Will an added flash take care of this? Why is the picture grainy? I did not have it zoomed in very far at all. If the picture is grainy due to vibration, isn't the IS suppose to fix that?

Ireally want to learn tricks around these problems so I can love my camera.

Thanks,

Tommy & Susie