Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:07 PM   #1

I have researched getting an S3 for several weeks now and one question really bugs me!
Why does the "SONY" Tele converter DH-1758 do so darn well on a Canon S3?

I would have thought that a Canon Tele converter would have been better, but that doesn't appear to be the case!

Doesn't something like this "Stick" in Canons throat?
Changeling

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:23 PM   #2

Teleconverters by nature are pretty generic and are easily brand swapable in most cases. However, they are not necessarily of equal image quality.

Here's an old link that does a nice comparison of three high quality, well respected TCs, The Oly B-300, Oly TCON 14B, the Sony HGD-1758. The test camera was the venerable Oly C-2100UZ 2Mp ultra zoom camera. To my eyes, as much as I hate to admit it, the Sony is the clear winner. You'll need to give the page a little while to load, 30 seconds or so.

Canon also made some very respected TCs back in those days, that generally received favorable comments on the forums.

----------------------------------
Edit - 18 Nov 2006 - 2150hrs
Hmm, I could have sworn I included the link. I even proofed it.

Anyway, here it is ...

----------------------------------
Re-Edit at 2200hrs
Well. it seems to be stripping the link. My bad. Apparently, I don't understand the procedure.

Changeling wrote:
Quote:
I have researched getting an S3 for several weeks now and one question really bugs me!

I would have thought that a Canon Tele converter would have been better, but that doesn't appear to be the case!

Changeling
Rick-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3

you forgot to post the link.

Rick-S wrote:
Quote:
Teleconverters by nature are pretty generic and are easily brand swapable in most cases. However, they are not necessarily of equal image quality.

Here's an old link that does a nice comparison of three high quality, well respected TCs, The Oly B-300, Oly TCON 14B, the Sony HGD-1758. The test camera was the venerable Oly C-2100UZ 2Mp ultra zoom camera. To my eyes, as much as I hate to admit it, the Sony is the clear winner. You'll need to give the page a little while to load, 30 seconds or so.

Canon also made some very respected TCs back in those days, that generally received favorable comments on the forums.

Changeling wrote:
Quote:

Changeling
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:58 PM   #4

I edited the original post to include it (the link). Thanks for calling it to my attention.

Rick

mrphotoman wrote:
Quote:
you forgot to post the link.

Rick-S wrote:
Quote:

Changeling wrote:
Quote:

Changeling
Rick-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:34 PM   #5

would the issue of Canon's being 1.5x while Sony's being 1.7x that made the choice.

I myself are using my S3is with Sony's, coz i can't get the Canon anything cheaper than Sony here.
fat_miao is offline   Reply With Quote