Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:08 PM   #1

How do I know if the flash on my camera is dead. I have forced the flash on at all modes, flash will not initiate. A interesting note the camera knows the flash is not working. If I go to AUTO mode I can see the flash is set to on but the f-stop and shutter speed will compensate as if the flash is turned off. Also 2 other things the red-eye reduction is not working either and the clock seems to reset, but camera preferences seem fine. I can't hear the falsh cycling. Does anyone have answer. I'm kind of upset after I just bought the underwater housing for this camera in August. - garman

I just found out the batteries seem to die quickly. I just charged them last night now they are dead. Not sure if this is related!

garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:52 PM   #2

garman wrote:
Quote:
How do I know if the flash on my camera is dead. I have forced the flash on at all modes, flash will not initiate. A interesting note the camera knows the flash is not working. If I go to AUTO mode I can see the flash is set to on but the f-stop and shutter speed will compensate as if the flash is turned off. Also 2 other things the red-eye reduction is not working either and the clock seems to reset, but camera preferences seem fine. I can't hear the falsh cycling. Does anyone have answer. I'm kind of upset after I just bought the underwater housing for this camera in August. - garman

I just found out the batteries seem to die quickly. I just charged them last night now they are dead. Not sure if this is related!

follow up

Anyway I have decided to have canon look at the flash and the battery short. I later got a call that both the flash and the battery compartment is faulty and something on the logic board has a problem. I was given a estimate of 240$ (Can) for repairs. I laughed and told them that a refurb unit and a one year warranty can be had for the same price. I decided to make the purchase of the refurb.

Ilater called Canon C/S and complained about the poor build quality of the unit and how I am stuck with this camera because of the underwater housing that I bought 6 months ago. Anyway they responded that it would be address by someone and see if I would recieve some compensation after a year and a half of use of my S1. Not gonna hold my breathe. But I'll tell youI'll be rethinking about the s3. I was saving my pennies before I blew on a refurb s1. -garman
garman is offline   Reply With Quote