Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:15 AM   #1

I want to get a new point and shoot to replace my A520. After having the A520 for a year, I am seeing how advantageous IS would be as well as other things like the newer DIGIC system and such. I am looking at the 710 IS and the S3 IS. I was wondering how 'portable' you feel the S3 is. Do you ever feel that it is too much to carry around and wish you had a compact camera as well? I've handled it in person and it seems pretty small, but I'm not sure if its small enough to carry around with me like I can do with my A520.
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:27 AM   #2

I like the 12x zoom that the S3 has. I accept that it won't fit in a pocket. A camera bag (alone) is not too much to carry and it lets me enjoy (and capture) sporting events.

How many other packages will you be carrying? Baby stroller and diaper bag? A dog on a leash? Will you be shooting a walk-around sporting event (equestrian cross-country steeplechase) or a sit-down sporting event (tennis match)? Christmas holidays with the family? Nature? Formal/weddings?

The S3 won't capture a lot in small rooms (residences) because it does not go below 36mm. And all digicams seem to have much longer depth of field than film models (but you already live with both of these with the 520).

When I shoot the odd sporting event or county park I can travel "light" -- without many other things. I don't mind carrying a dedicated camera bag -- the long zoom gives me more options to compose and capture.

(I had the A540 for a week before returning it. It fit in a 'fanny pack' - it was too valuable to put in a pocket, it might fall out and break. But I was intrigued by the S3's extra zoom and I don't think I'll be disappointed.)
saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:37 PM   #3

I have an S3 and an S1 before that. It's a pretty good carry around camera. You can carry it comfortably in one hand for long periods of time. However, it is not something you really want to take to a dinner party or intimate social gathering. For those occasions I have a Canon ELPH that's easily carried in a pants pocket. It largely comes down to how much zoom you need for a particular situation.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:24 PM   #4

If you are considering a "super-zoom", please consider a lens adapter. It can give your left hand a comfortable way to support the camera even if you don't want additional lenses (tele-converter for even more zoom or polarizer to darken the sky).

An adapter is an under-rated comfort accessory.

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:00 PM   #5

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
I want to get a new point and shoot to replace my A520. After having the A520 for a year, I am seeing how advantageous IS would be as well as other things like the newer DIGIC system and such. I am looking at the 710 IS and the S3 IS. I was wondering how 'portable' you feel the S3 is. Do you ever feel that it is too much to carry around and wish you had a compact camera as well? I've handled it in person and it seems pretty small, but I'm not sure if its small enough to carry around with me like I can do with my A520.
I just went through the same process. My "carry around" involves having the camera in my shirt pocket on bird hunting trips with my Setters and being able to put that camera into action quickly. I really wanted an S3 but finally decided that it was simply too big for my purposes. I bought the A710 and really, really like it. Video is important to me and the A710 has a great video mode.

I think you'd like the 710IS. The IS is first class as is the autofocus.......actually, I can find no fault with the camera so far. Good luck!
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:33 PM   #6

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
I have an S2 which is slightly smaller than the s3 and while I like it as a camera, I do find it too cumbersome to to carry around just in case I come upon an unexpected photo op. For that I have anSD300 but that's a bit limited in its specs. For a recent two week trip to North Africa, I bought an A710IS and carried it around with me constantly, either in my pocket or a fanny pack. I am pleased with the photos it took and suspect that my other two cameras will now take a back seat. Certainly if I had to have only one camera, it would be the 710, as it falls neatly into the middle slot - very portable yet feature rich. I hardly ever missed the 12X zoom of the S2 since it is possible to get 9X without image degradation thanks to the "safe" digital zoom feature, provided the shot is not at the highest res which I rarely feel is necessary for me.
tishy567 is offline   Reply With Quote