Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:35 PM   #1

I have had an S1IS for a couple years and want to upgrade if Santa will let me. Should I ask for the S3 or wait for the S4, S5, etc?

I also have a Raynox 6600 Pro, DCR-250 Macro and a Canon TC-DC52B Teleconverter, all with 52mm threads. Can / will I be able to use these with the S3?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Regards,
Dave

da180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:20 AM   #2

wait for s4/s5? hmmm...? depends on how long you want to wait. I don't think there is any official info about this as yet released by canon? the s3 has a lot of life in it yet if the s1/s2 is antyhing to go by and personally I'm yet to be convinced of whether the s4/s5 wil add that much more....only time will tell I guess.

.with a 52mm adapter from lesnmateonline.com to my knowledge youshould be able to reuse all the converter lenses you mention.

I'm considering getting a 6600 pro having recently been using a 52mm adapter and the dcr-1540 pro teleconverter which gives great results.
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3

Thanks Chris.

I decided to just go ahead and get the S3, on sale at Office Depot for $319.00. This camera is awesome, I regret having waited this long.

Now I'll get some adapters from Lensmate and go out and play.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:50 AM   #4

da180,......you cheated, it's not Christmas yet! I'll bet you will really enjoy the S3. I was in heat for one,....still am, actually,.....but settled on a A710 instead since I needed someting that would fit in my shirt pocket on hunting trips.

Having said that, I'll be buying an S3 and teleconverter before my next trip to Yellowstone Park next September.

Are you happy with the movie mode?
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:29 PM   #5

I have only had it about 24 hours. So far the most impressive features I've seen are the ability to take snow photos (lots of it here) and indoor shots (focus) are soooo much better than the S1.

I have read some good reviews of the video features. I always took my S1 in my hunting pack, so now it will be the S3. My goal, to film while deer hunting.

I figured that I (I mean Santa) had to go for the price since any S3 successors would probably be out of my price range.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:44 PM   #6

The S4, which likely will come to market next spring, won't cost more than the S3 last spring. At the same time the price for the S3 will come down. Thus, even if you want the S3, it makes sense to wait a little bit.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:17 PM   #7

speaking of deer....i was only hunting for a photo though

this taken with my dcr-1540 tc and the s3
Attached Images

Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:43 PM   #8

da180,..As a hunter, I thought you might like to hear my first "field test" of the A710, yesterday and today.

While quail hunting with the camera in my left shirt pocket, I found I was able to "quick draw" it, turn it on and use it with only one hand. That's an improvement over the Sanyo I've been using and important since I don't have to juggle the shotgun now to get in action. I found the focus on videos to be vastly superior to the Sanyo and the non zooming feature during video was not a factor. Of course, your S3 will zoom during video.

I initially wanted to carry the camera with "P" selected so I could get the vivid feature in my stills. However, I noticed after one of my quick draws that I had inadvertently changed some sort of light value. So, I just put it on auto and fired away in that mode. I took lots of stills in auto, including some of the dogs running, and the camera seemed to figure out everything just fine.

When taking a movie I found it tough to tell a couple of times if I had actually started taking since the red movie indicator on the LCD is hard to see in sunlight. You can tell when you stop easier because the stop indicator is yellow.

I was a little concerned that my 2gb Sandisk with 17 minutes of best quality video might limit me somehow but that was not the case. I took all the video clips I usually take and still had 12 minutes left.

All in all, I really like the A710. It's a great little camera/camcorder.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:28 PM   #9

Adding to yesterday's field test...

Today I looked at some videos from my Sanyo and the ones I took yesterday with the Canon A710. When shooting scenery at a distance, the Canon is superior. On close ups of the dogs, it's a toss up.

The sound in the Canon videos seemed inferior and I had recalled that previously I thought it was as good or maybe better than the Sanyo. I think I broke the code on that, though,.......I was taking the videos through the viewfinder which meant my voice didn't go as directly to the microphone, which is right on top. Oh well....

The biggest advantage overall to the Canon is the speed I can get it into action and the superior focus.

I won't keep filling up the forum with my observations unless someone gets interested in the A710 as a field camera.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:45 PM   #10

OK, I'm trying to picture what you're doing here. Is it holding the camera in one hand, shotgun in the other? Or? document.write('[img]/forums/images/emoticons/nuts.gif[/img]');[img]images/emoticons/nuts.gif[/img]

I am still working my way through the S3 manual and have not gotten out to get a 2GB card for it. I'd like a high speed, but just can't afford it so for now it will be a Sandisk 2GB, they are on sale at OfficeMax I think. I'll be doing the video thing once I get it though.