Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:26 AM   #11

NHL

Canon's manuals are wrong all the time. One of the manuals for a long prime (>=400mm) says that it "Detects that it is on a tripod and disables IS." No version of IS does that. It does detect that that the amplitude of the shake is different and switches to a different more appropriate mode, but it doesn't a) detect its on a tripod (if you shook that little, it would do it when you held it) and b) it doesn't disable IS. Chuck Westfall, who signs his posts in rob galbraith's forums as:
Chuck Westfall
Director/Technical Information Dept.
Camera Division/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

ended up having to make a large post about how IS in the different lenses works because Canon's manuals were wrong too many times:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthrea...rue#Post124792

I just took two test pictures with the flash enabled and the zoom at 28 and 135. It does not block the flash at either setting, unless the lens shadow is so subtle I couldn't see it.

I agree about the varifocal question. I learned years ago to focus when zoomed out and then zoom in to compose. You can't do that with many lenses now.... so I just don't do it. But how many havn't learned that?

If that Sigma is the same cost.... that is something that people should seriously consider. Assuming its the same quality is sharpness and lens flare/CA and the rest. Does it focus fast? The 28-135 is USM.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 9:49 AM   #12
NHL

Quote:
I just took two test pictures with the flash enabled and the zoom at 28 and 135. It does not block the flash at either setting, unless the lens shadow is so subtle I couldn't see it.
How far is the subject? You'll see it when you take picture of a flat table surface for example... There'll be a significant black pyramid shape toward the lower center of the frame at the 28mm setting when the subject is up close that only an external flash can remedy! :P

Quote:
I learned years ago to focus when zoomed out and then zoom in to compose. You can't do that with many lenses now...
Actually you could with many true zooms, your 100-400 is one, my 70-200 f2.8 is another and most low ratio x3-x4 zooms! 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:56 AM   #13

NHL

I know that some lenses are still true zoom, and therefor you can zoom after focusing. But I don't want to have to think about that while I'm using it. So I just always focus at the zoom I want. Assuming focus conformation doesn't lie (I think I've seen it lie, but I'm not sure) then I just trust that when I'm focusing by hand, or guess if the scene requires it.

As a slight digression, I wonder how common and why the industry changed to the varifocal design. I always assumed it was either a) cheaper or b) easier to design/make. But I don't know. Can it do things a triditional design can't? Maybe I should make this a separate thread!

I was about to disagree about the closeness of the subject... but now that I think about it more, you are right. But this must be a fact of life of almost every lens when used with the built in flash. Assuming the camera can focus close enough, there will always be a point where the lens will cast a shadow which is picked up by the camera. Sure the 50 F1.8 is really small, so I doubt it does, but most reasonable sized lenses will at some point of subject closeness. I guess I'm saying that for reasonable subjects (a person, a picture on the well, the dog running in the back yard) you won't get a shadow. At least I don't seem to.

When I used the 100-400 & flash, it cast a shadow in the frame when taking a picture of my girlfriend at 15 feet (not a profile, just a shot of the room and her.) Unless you are very careful, the built in flash seems almost useless with that lens.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote