Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 20, 2003, 4:49 PM   #1

Default Lense for 10d???

My wife and I have decided to purchase a 10d, but I'm a little confused on the lense selection. The 2 lenses I'm considering are the 24-85 USM EF and 28-135 USM IS EF. I've also seen lenses by other manufactures (sigma etc.) but I know that the pictures will only be as good as the lense. Should I consider other manufactures? If so, what lenses?? Are the Canon lenses that I'm considering good ones? Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Dan
Dan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:26 PM   #2

The most important piece of information is the one you did not include.

What do you plan to use the camera for?

After that comes, "How much are you willing to spend?"

Most of the time (but not always) you get what you pay for. A more expensive lens will be a better lens. But what "better" means is not what you think. Sure, it can be higher resolving power (i.e. sharpness) but it can also be better construction, or better weather sealing. Or larger maximum aperture (which means a lower fstop number.) Or less lens flare. Or... you get the idea. Lenses have many aspects... the cheaper lenses will do some things well and some very badly (we'll ignore the ones which do everything badly.) As you go up in price they usually have better overall properties and then do certain things well.

I have a good 50 dollar lens (Canon 50mm f1.8 ) and a $1,500 lens (Canon 100-400mm L F4.0-5.6). One does not replace the other and both do something well. The 50mm is plastic with a cheap design. But its very small and light, good in low light situations and is a good portrate lens. The 100-400mm is a good distance zoom which is sharp enough (could be better) and is built like a tank.

There are some very good non Canon lenses. They aren't cheap, but they are cheaper than Canon's lenses. There are also many really bad ones. But since we don't know what you want to do, we can't recommend anything.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:32 AM   #3

I'm looking for an "All Purpose" lense. This is our first major purchase in photographic equipment since getting my Minolta 7000i (a long time ago...). We just want to get a lense that will work well with the camera and produce sharp/clear images. The 2 lenses that I'm considering are in the $400 to $600 range. I've seen Canon lenses in the $200 range but I want to make sure that I get the most versital lense that will produce best pictures I can with the camera.

Thanks,
Dan
Old Jun 21, 2003, 1:10 PM   #4

Then let me ask a more specific question.

Will you use the camera indoors more or outdoors?

If its indoors, you probably want something with a lower f-stop than 28-135 USM IS EF. I have this lens and generally like it. But it isn't great when there isn't a lot of light. Of course, the other lens you specify is only a little better.

Also remember that all lens lenths are multiplied by 1.6, so the 28-135 is really the same as a 45-216mm. That isn't very wide angle.

You could buy a flash, thought, and that will help out a lot.

Eric
Old Jun 21, 2003, 5:32 PM   #5

The lense will be used inside and out so I guess my next question is about the flash. Does the built in flash work in most (family pictures etc) situations or will I need an external flash? Since you have the 28-135, do you like the image stabilization feature?

Thanks,

Dan
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:33 PM   #6
NHL

Two things:

1. The internal flash will be no good for the EF28-135 IS because the lens will shadow it!
2. I questioned the IS, which I also have over a good f2.8, or an external flash:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...050&highlight=

BTW 28mm like Eric said is no wide angle for indoor tight shot with the 1.6x factor! A 24-70mm f2.8 is a better choice, if you're not going to buy a 17mm...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 8:51 AM   #7

I'll have to test that, but I don't believe the 28-135 will cause a flash shadow. I know the 100-400 does, but that is a huge lens.

I'll try it later today and see. Maybe I just haven't used it at the long end because I have a better long lens for such things.

The built in flash has a very limited range. It isn't bad for what it does, but don't expect a reach beyond... 10-12 feet I think?

Eric
Old Jun 22, 2003, 9:32 AM   #8
NHL

Eric

You don't have to try. It's in the EF28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM manual under the warning sign for Zooming!
Quote:
The light from the built-in flash may be partially obscured. Use an external flash unit for flash photography.
The other warning:
Quote:
Do not adjust the focal lenght after focusing the subject
which means this lens is a varifocal! IMO I still believe the 24-70mm constant f2.8 from Sigma is a better deal for the same price or less... since that's a true zoom. :twisted:

BTW this could be the major source of front/back focus problem... ie when people recompose their shot with this zoom after the camera has locked focus!
Old Jun 22, 2003, 5:06 PM   #9

I also just got my 10d and love it . The lenses I have are the
Canon ef 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and Sigmas 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 DG
I cant say enough about these two lenses I just love them both
saving up for my 70-200 F/4. :lol:
mike cuttone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 5:41 AM   #10
NHL

Don't get me wrong, the EF28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM is a light and very convenient lens because of its reach... One just has to realize its limitations, and pay attention to them:

1. At the wide position the lens will mask the built-in flash toward the lower center 1/2 of the picture when the subject is close.
2. Another telltale of this lens varifocal design is the infrared distance markings on the lens barrel (they vary by focal lenght). So the practice of zooming-in to focus, and zooming-out to compose is a no/no here, and Canon rightfully so put a warning about this in the lens manual.

The other comment I have is about the importance of IS. If flash photography is forbidden then this would be a godsend; However in most low-light situations a flash will render a much better exposure than trying to get by with IS and slow shutter speed... and a constant f2.8 (the EF is f5.6 half way through) can only help here! :P