Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:56 PM   #1

Hi,

I bought an A630 that came with damaged CD. I called Canon and
they said they have no replacement CDs at all. I bought the camera as a gift.
So, now I have a brand new camera that is useless. The customer
service rep said he couldn't help because while the camera is "new," the box had been resealed by the store. Silly me for being honest.

Is there another camera that uses the same software whose website
allows software downloads? Short of buying a new camera, downloading the CD,
and returning the whole mess, does anyone have any suggestions? - Or am I just
out of luck?

Thank you.

Quercus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:37 PM   #2

First of all, welcome to the forums. There are a lot of helpful people here, I'm sure we can think of something.

I have the Canon Solutions Disk version 28.2 (EDIT: for my Canon S3 IS - END OF EDIT) (210 megs!). Now I understand why you don't wish to download it -- it is too big for dialup. Do you have a friend with a broadband connection who could download the software?

I'd love to download it, burn a disc and mail it to you, but many companies have licensing rules against distributing software that way.

Perhaps someone with your model would be kind enough to respond with the directory structure, the contents of the autorun.inf file, etc. With this information (and the files from their website) hopefully it is possible to burn a complete replica of the damaged disc.

One other thought, do you have a friend with that model? Does your local camera shop have an extra copy of the disc for this camera?

Best wishes for a speedy resolution and a great holiday season,

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:50 PM   #3

Do you really need to use the software? I use a card reader for the SD card (I have an A620, btw), and if you connect the camera via USB, does it not appear under Windows XP? My A620 does, provided I set the record/playback mode switch to "playback".

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:25 PM   #4

The software that came with my S3 lets me put my name in the MakerNotes (also in the camera's firmware I think) and it lets me upload and download "themes" (sound for shutter click, timer beep, video background when in menu mode, etc). I suspect this can't be done any other way. So the software probably would be good to have, though maybe not absolutely necessary.

I've got my fingers crossed that you will get a good solution.

saturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:04 AM   #5

Thank you for the welcome, saturndude! I have been a reader of the forums
for quite a while for the information and educated opinions. In spite of all the knowledge here, I own a Mavica CD350 and a Kodak DX7590. (Just kidding since they suit my needs.) I'm not a photographer so to speak, but my husband really is and the A640 is for my husband. His previous camera was a Canon A1 which became rusty inside from trips to very humid places. (He wants a Digital Rebel, but won't buy it for himself, so this is a cheaper alternative to get him back into shooting mode.)

I have a cable connection, but Canon does not allow downloading of the software
due to the licensing issues, and I am not trying to get an illegal copy of the software.
They do not even offer a paid download option to purchasers of their cameras. I asked all my friends and they own older cameras - none Canon. I've searched the web, but am not even sure what is on the Cd.

We do not have a newer printer that is PictBridge enabled, so I'm not even sure if the software is necessary. The Canon rep I spoke with was not forthcoming with any useful information and I got the impression he did not know the answers to my questions or anything about the camera. That is why I came here. I was trying to find answers on the net before heading off on the road.

Thank you for your suggetions and I hope the season finds you and yours most happy!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:10 AM   #6

flippedgazelle wrote:
Quote:
Do you really need to use the software? I use a card reader for the SD card (I have an A620, btw), and if you connect the camera via USB, does it not appear under Windows XP? My A620 does, provided I set the record/playback mode switch to "playback".
I didn't think I needed the software, but I thought I read in the user manual
not to connect to the computer without installing the software first. I did not
want to attempt anything until I had some informed opinions. haven't
tried using the camera, but I'll get out my card reader and try it. I'll reread the manuals thoroughly, too.

Thank you so much for the suggestion!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:41 PM   #7

You should be fine. In fact, I have my mother'sPC set up so photos get downloaded straight to Picassa - Canon's software isn't even installed.

Good luck!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote