Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:06 PM   #1

Help! I bought my S2 Powershot last summer and am still trying out all the million of
options. What I want to do is be able to take good clear close up shots of small stuffed animals. (I sell Steiffs on our favorite auction website). For hours I've methodically taken the same photo over and over again with the many different choices of settings and functions. I'm stumped. What settings would you experts advise me to use for indoor Macro photos with good clarity, detail, and natural looking lighting?!
Here's the 1 I've narrowed it down to: - probably not a good choice.

Bun62 is shot with Portait and 2 power super macro.

The details aren't clear enough and some of it is too bright. HELP!!!
thank you

Attached Images

tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:45 PM   #2

a couple of suggestions, use a tripod and the timer for your shutter release. You also might pick up one of the softbox tents.You put your subject inside with the lights outside, gives you muchmore even light and less harsh. I think you can get the whole kit lights and all pretty cheap on e-bay, and probably elsewhere too.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:31 PM   #3

I ain't a professional, but I have also been experimenting alot and I hope this helps-

I agree with caboose. Turn off your flash and use a tripod (turn off IS when using a tripod, you won't need IS since you got a tripod on). ISO 200. Use the timer so that when u press the shutter release it wont shake the camera as much. The tent would be like working in a studio sort of thing. If you have big subjects, you may wish to use some sort of plain sheets as your background (a very creative person with their S2 on another forum used beached towels!!! kudos to him, he's a very young and promising photographer).

For lighting, try moving around some lamps to try and even out the lighting. Move the lamps around so that you dont see any shadow on the subject or the shadow is soft and diffused as well as to diffuse blown out areas.

As for aperture, if you want sharpwith everything in detail, try f8 to f11 range. If you want to blurcertain areas out, like the background use a larger aperture (lower f)(I forgot what is a good sharp range for the S2). But using a lower f - stop means that ur subject may be blurry, Not to worry. Shoot the first picture, whever it is blurry and without moving tripod or anything, move the focus point to the next point and focus there...its called digital blending I think:

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...blending.shtml

Super macro mode only works for objects focused 0cm to 10cm. It is the best thing ever....I miss it alot (along with the zoom) actually when I moved over to the nikon D50. But it depends how big your subject is. If it aint really that big, then super macro, but otherwise, aperture mode or manual mode is good.

Good luck
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:32 AM   #4

, try f8 to f11 range

Thanks you two! This is a good start. I understand about the f8 - f11, but I wonder what setting woudl be the best - I mean Portrait, or Av or Tv or.....there's so many to choose from!

thanks,
tigerwings1st

Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:34 AM   #5

and I didn't really want to use any flash. Isn't there a setting that can compensate for that?
T
hANKS

Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:34 PM   #6

personally, I wouldn't use those settings mode such as portrait or landscape etc, most of the custom settings can be made via M, Av, Tv and P modes. I would chose Av mode and use the tripod with no flash, the rest can be compensated via lamps or some external lighting that you can play around with =)
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:58 PM   #7

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I don't really get what the Av setting is, but in my experimenting, I can see it's getting closer to what I want. :-)