Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:51 AM   #1

O.K. I this I have finally decided on the Canon A710 IS. Does anyone know the best place to pick one up or where to order on-line from?
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2

Yesterday, Amazon had them for $300, including shipping. I've had one for a week or two and, in my opinion, you made a good choice. These are great and versatile little cameras with good video capability. By the way, Staples has 2GB SD cards for $50. You'll probably want one.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3

Thanks so much. I'll check out Amazon . I was thinking a 1 gig would do. Does it matter which brand. I have a 1 gig for my Canon XT and so far it's been big enough.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Administrator

stonehill wrote:
Quote:
O.K. I this I have finally decided on the Canon A710 IS. Does anyone know the best place to pick one up or where to order on-line from?
http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com...h=Canon%20A710

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:37 PM   #5

I think a 1GB would be fine unless you plan to take some videos. 1GB will give you just 8 1/2 minutues of highest quaility video. 2GB will double that. I think you will need a high speed card. I use a Sandisk Ultra 2, 2GB and it works beautifully.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:20 PM   #6

I've never taken movies with a digital camera. My DSLRdoes not have this option. I usually have to carry the video camera and still when I want videos.Being able to only carry one small cam sounds great. But what do you do with the video clips. Do you burn them to a DVD? I would need to get a DVD burner if thats the case.

Please advise.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:39 PM   #7

You can do several things with the video clips. I take short clips while I'm quail hunting and put them on my computer. You can view them there or show them on the TV. Your 710 comes with all the hookups necessary. You will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the videos, but you WILL need the high speed SD card.

Another option is to load the clips directly to a DVD writer with a hard drive. I have a Panasonic and that's what I usually do after I look at them on the computer and see what I want to keep.

The limitation, of course, is the SD card and I can get only 17 minutes on my 2GB. That's fine for my purposes.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:55 PM   #8

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I'm pretty sure I will order this camera from Amazon for the $300.00 but I really want to see, touch and hold one first. Ive called everywhere including bestbuy, wallmart, Target, K-martand Sears.No one seems to have this camera. Any ideas???

p.s. I'll think I'll go for the 2 gig card so I can have fun with movie clips-thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:11 PM   #9

Stonehill,...I handled one at Circuit City before I bought. The dimensions are listed on some of the reviews. The camera is small enough to fit in the shirt pocket of the canvas shirts I use for quail hunting, yet large enough to be able to get a good grip. The other thing I've appreciated is the viewfinder. Not many small cameras have them. You'll like the camera for sure.

As I think on it, Best Buy had these also, that's here in So California.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:37 PM   #10

Best buy in Central Ca. doesn't have it and circuit city is 1 hour away. I think I will just go for it and order it before Amazon changes its price. They also offer a 2 gig card for $49.00. It's a pro brand or something like that. Would that be o.k. or should I stick with a more well known name brand?

Thanks again!