Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:46 PM   #1

I am in the market for a new camera. I have pretty much decided on a Canon. I am starting with researching the S3, A710, and A640. Now I can see the tech specs on the camera but can some of the gurus out there give me a better comparison on these cameras?

I am looking for a camera that has a decent speed between shots and has some good auto featues. We are not photo experts and dont know alot about all the manuals settings. We need to be able to turn it on and take pictures. I also want it to be good on batteries. I have seen some cameras out there that eat bateries.

Thanks,
Frank

Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:24 AM   #2

Well, you sort of have a small/medium/large decision to make. Here are my quick thoughts:

A710is is the smallest of the bunch, uses 2 AA battereis, and has the slowest recharge time between photos, particularly with flash. The largest advantage is the 6x zoom and the image stabilization. It's a 7mp camera with a fixed LCD display.

A640 is larger, and uses 4 AA batteries, which results in much faster shot-to-shot times compared with the A710is. It has a 4x zoom. From pics I have seens in various galleries, I believe it has the best image quality of the 3. Though it does not have image stabilization, it has a larger sensor than the A710 and takes less noisy low-light photos. It's a 10mp camera with an articulating (movable) LCD display.

S3is is larger yet, and boasts a 12x optical zoom, as well as image stabilization. It uses 4 AA batteries and also posts good shot-to-shot times. It uses a smaller sensor than the A640, and as a result is noisier in high-iso situations.

In my (rather limited) experience, Canon's "Auto" mode is pretty good for general snapshots. I am a former A620 owner and was very pleased with it.

The A640, just based on research and features list, is my personal favorite of the cameras you listed.

Out of curiousity, why are you not considering the A630? Very similar to the A640, except 8mp rather than 10mp - and both are more than plenty for 11x17 prints - and the A630 lacks also remote capture. I believe the A630 is about $100 less than the A640.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:53 PM   #3

I got my canon A640 a few weeks ago and i am delighted with it,it does not eat batteries.
But just by a charger and rechargable batteries thats what i did
Attached Images

jockwav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 6:05 PM   #4

What a lovely picture! I used to have a cat that looked very much like yours; I miss her dearly!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:35 PM   #5

I didnt even know there was a 630. There is about a $65 difference. What is the remote capture?

What is the difference in the zoom in the 630/640 and the S3.

Also is there a benefit with the image stabilization for photos or just the video?

What types of things need to be done to take good pictures with the S3. I mean what types of settings would need to be changes between pictures and settings?

Frank
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:46 AM   #6

Remote Capture allows you to direct the A640 via the PC. Of course, it must be connected with the PC.
Image stabilisation is very useful both for photos and video. It helps quite a bit to prevent pictures getting blurred by shake. Videos are also less jerky.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:31 AM   #7

With the A640 i dont find i miss the stabilization,i usually find something to lean on and my photos are comming out ok.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:59 AM   #8

jockwav wrote:
Quote:
With the A640 i dont find i miss the stabilization,i usually find something to lean on and my photos are comming out ok.
If you don't miss image stabilisation and don't have any problems with shake, then the A640 and the A630 are the better cameras, because of the large 1/1.8" sensor. However, most people do have problems with shake and it really can drive you nuts, if you come home and your pictures are blurred by shake.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:09 AM   #9

You know what they say,practice makes perfect.:lol:
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:09 PM   #10

The A630 is Silver

I would prefer the A640 because it is Black. No more Silver cameras for me. Just my 2 cents worth . . . .
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote