Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:53 PM   #1

Yea! My Christmas present arrived early today. I want to get used to it before taking the important pictures on Christmas. Can someone advise me on which settings I should take off of default.

ISO auto or ?

AWB for indoor w/flash?

drive mode? single or cont.

metering mode?

compression and recording size-fine or superfine?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:07 PM   #2

You can leave the ISO on auto while you are using flash. If you have decent light and want to try some shots without flash, you might want to force a faster ISO. You will have some noise in those shots, though.

Likewise AWB for flash. If you change to available light and are getting color casts, adjust the white balance then, either by selecting a manual setting that matches the lighting in the room, or by shooting a custom white balance.

Continuous shooting will be meaningless while using flash, because you are going to have to wait fo the flash to recharge.

Center-weighted average gets a good exposure for most snapshots. Switch to spot metering if the camera is having a problem.

Superfine means lowest compression and therefore best accuracy in rendering your photos when you eventually print them. I always use maximum pixels and minimum compression.

docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:40 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

You would use center weighted metering over evaluative?Also what about auto focus? I changed from AiAf for center but I'm not sure.

Thanks again
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:50 AM   #4

stonehill wrote:
Quote:
Yea! My Christmas present arrived early today. I want to get used to it before taking the important pictures on Christmas. Can someone advise me on which settings I should take off of default.

ISO auto or ?

AWB for indoor w/flash?

drive mode? single or cont.

metering mode?

compression and recording size-fine or superfine?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
I'm curious, did you get a user's manual with the camera? These are usually a good source of information. :roll:
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:24 PM   #5

Evaluative metering would be fine, too. You will very seldom see a difference between the results. Might as well not change the default, I guess, until you need to. The real point was that if the camera is not metering your scene correctly, it is probably confused about what you portion of the scene you want exposed, and you can tell it exactly what is important to you with the spot meter.

I use the AiAF a good bit, but if you use the center spot to prefocus and re-compose the shot, you are kind of doing the same thing with the focus spot - showing the camera what is important to you - that you do with the spot meter. Nothing at all wrong with that, and may be more reliable if things are moving fast.

To reply to the other post: The books tell you how to set the camera, but often doesn't say why you would choose any particular setting.

I have said it in these forums before, but back in the good 'ole days, whenever those were, a more experienced photographer reminded me that "The cheapest thing in your camera bag is the film." His was of reminding me to shoot and experiment. Bracket exposures, try different settings, and think about the effects on your pictures, and you will be amazed how much you can learn from your own experiments.

But that's for after Christmas - for now you want reliable shots of those kids, because it only happens once.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:26 PM   #6

Exactly! Thanks so much for your post. You are very kind and helpful. I will have a chance to experement after Christmas. I just want to get it right on the DAY!

To the other poster-yes I got a manual and yes I read it. I thought this forumnwas for asking advice andto see what others have found that works for them.