Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:42 PM   #1

I was looking at the A640 but think its just too big for my wife. She has the Fuji F10 right now and dosnt have much luck with this camera. I got her that one becuase it was supposed to be the best point and shoot camera. Well now I am looking for a new point and shoot but need it to be compact. I need a camera that she can just point the camera at an object and take the pic. She mostly take pictures of our kids indoors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:06 PM   #2

If she is taking the indoor pictures without flash she isn't going to do as well with any small camera as the F30 she already has. Maybe you could post some of the pictures she considers poor. There are lots of F30 owners who would probably offer some good advice.

The SD700 is an excellent little camera and it would be my choice even over the F30. But I tend to not shoot a lot of movement in limited light without turning the flash on. The contrast is set too high on the F30 and there is no adjustment. You can't adjust the SD700 contrast either but the default is set better. Good ISO 400 plus stabilization gives pretty good versatility. Stabilization is a good feature and I think makes it worth the price difference versus the SD630.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:12 PM   #3

We have the F10. The biggest problem is on alot of pics our kids faces are whited out. I thought maybe she was too close and the flash was causing this. So i had her take the pics further away but zoom in and it still happens. I have been doing some reading and am really liking the 700IS. I found the 800IS but the price difference is significant and I dont need the extra MP.

Frank

Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:54 PM   #4

Sorry bout that -as a point and shoot the F10 is probably as good as the F30. I looked at the record menus and don't see any way to decrease the flash – that is odd even for point and shoot. And you have to go into the menu it seems to reduce the EV, but it might be worth a try to lower it for flash shots.

The big advantage of the SD800 is the wide angle and not the extra MP.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:06 AM   #5

Thanks. I will give that a shot for my holiday pics. I think I will go with the sd700 after the holidays. I really want the IS.

Also what does the wide angle give me?
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:23 PM   #6

How much of a difference does the IS make? I may be able to get the SD900 pretty easy but it doesnt look to have IS.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 1:44 PM   #7

Wide angle gives you more in a shot. For scenes where things aren't moving and there aren't large waves, grabbing three quick panorama shots with the camera long side vertical will accomplish pretty much the same thing. But there are times when that doesn't work very well.

There are also times when you can't get back far enough to get everyone or everything in the frame. Wide angle is handy for general purpose photography.

Stabilization helps a lot for shooting in limited light. It does nothing to help for subject motion like you often get with kids though. It lets you handhold without getting blur at slower shutter speeds. I personally find it very handy in many situations.

You said you didn't need the extra Mp from 6 to 7 Mp. Not sure why you would want to go to 10 and lose the stabilization and extra zoom range with the SD900. It seems to have a little better high ISO performance than the SD 700/800, but not as good as what you already have. And if your wife doesn't go into the menu and crank it up at appropriate times on the Fuji she isn't likely to mess with it on the SD900. For your use I would save the money and go with the lighter SD630 over the SD900. The SD 700 and 800 are the better cameras IMO.

Old Dec 24, 2006, 5:57 PM   #8

I have SD630 and I love it.This is the best point and shot camera I ever use.Also this camera make the best quality videos in point and shot category.

my samples

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2992063

fantomasz is offline   Reply With Quote