Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:42 PM   #1

I got the above Powershot SD 700 IS because it had the two things I wanted most - it was small to go everywhere and it has a viewfinder. After using for one day I find the red eye is terrible. My first camera which I updated is the Fuji F700 and I don't remember having any red eye with that camera. A question is = if I got the External Flash for this camera would that prevent the red eye? Yes, I do have software to correct this but I am disappointed in that every photo has red eye - badly! Any comments appreciated.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:33 AM   #2

The built-in flash has to go off to trigger the separate unit, so you'll be no better off redeye-wise. What you gain with the extra unit is workingdistance. Redeye and having to fix itis just what you have to live with in settling to carry a compact vs. something else if you plan to use the flash much. You'll see little difference in redeye performance from model to model. They all try it in differing ways, but there's a reason they allcall it red eye REDUCTION instead of redeye ELIMINATION. Compacts with built-in flash units right next to the lens barrel invite redeye, a physical law no compact can win, dispite what you may read in marketing materials and from salesmen looking to push one model over another.

The Canon G7 is your best current bet in a Canondigicam for flash work since you can mount a separate unit and you can use it and prevent the built-in flash from firing.

See a related post on this very same page just a few rows down...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

and another one here..

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

and many others can be found, as this is an often asked (maybe THE most often asked)question in any forum related to point & shoot digicams. Technology can take you so far,but there does come a point to whereyou have to resort to using the right tools to get results you want, and to botheliminate redeye and get quality lighting, point & shoot digicams are notthe answer. Yes they are portable, yes they are easy, and no, there are no free lunches. This is one of the reasonswhy DSLR's areselling like never beforetoday.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:24 AM   #3

Thanks Greg- I guess I will just have to use my red eye software. Funny didn't have to for past two years using a FujiP & S. Really do not want to get into DSLR. Not the money as the inconvenience of carrying so much around with me, having to change lenses and watch for dust. Makes it into work more than just a hobby that I like. Thanks again. May look at some other cameras.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote