Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

View Poll Results: A540 Rechargable Battery Life, LCD on, Mostly Flash.
0 to 9 Pictures 1 20.00%
10-29 0 0%
30-49 1 20.00%
50-69 0 0%
70-99 1 20.00%
100-129 0 0%
130-149 0 0%
150 or more 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:17 AM   #21

well, than I don't know, maybe larger display is taking some more energy than 520. And rechargable batteries are 1.2 V, and camera works with 1.5. Maybe you have not good charger - i.e. cheap chinese or so. Or weak batteries like 1900 mAh.

In my case I'm very sad that 540 doesn't support remote shooting, but canon replied that they will provide update, so I waiting.

Andrej
afenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:10 AM   #22

Hello Vivona,

When I got my A540, I put a set of Eneloop cells in it and took over 600 pictures using the flash each time. I did not spend much time composing or reviewing, but by the time I was finished, my cat was getting camera shy...

I figured that if I spent more time composing, zooming, and reviewing the pictures, that would probably be reduced to 450 - 500 pictures.

The test results you referred to in an earlier post do not jive with what I have experienced and observed. A camera will draw pulses of around 1 amp and have a steady draw of around 500 mA, as you have measured. NiMh batteries will hold at, or over, 1.2 volts per cell at those loads regardless of brand, when they are new. As they age, the voltage under load gradually drops, until they are worn out.

It sounds like your cells were worn out.

You may be interested in test results for various brands of cells at various loads.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...mp;postcount=1

You can see that the Eneloop cells did very well, but there are a lot of other brands that also did very well when reviewing the performance under a 1 amp load.

The advantage of the Eneloop cells is their low self discharge rate. I ran a test and found that they still had around 86% of their initial capacity after 6 months of room temperature storage. Simply amazing.

Here is the data on the Eneloop study.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...mp;postcount=1

Tom

SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:57 PM   #23

SilverFoxCPF,

Thanks for the great info. By doing a "save a web page complete" I was able to grab all of the graphs at the candlepowerforum topic you linked. It is very interesting that your results were so different from the tests I found at http://www.users.on.net/~mhains/Reviews.html

Michael Hains, the owner of that site, states that he ran his tests by putting a 10 ohm load across 4 cells. Assuming a nominal 1.2 Volts per cell, that would put a draw of 480mA, more or less as the voltage changed. His tests show a much lower discharge voltage for half of the tested cells. I don't know why the difference between his results and yours. Charger, maybe? His test was with the resistance steady and the voltage dropping, so the current draw was not constant. It would seem his test would yield higher voltages than yours. Were your tests constant current, or pulsed?

The only new cells I have tested with my A540 have been the 2500mA Energizers and the eneloops and the eneloops beat out the Energizers. Of course, that was with the initial charge of both batteries. Perhaps after they run through a few discharge-charge cycles the Energizers will do better. In any event, I am reading all over the web postings of great results from the eneloops, so my problem has been solved.

I am even getting a second set of eneloops to use in my handheld GPS receiver for the long shelf life.
vivona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:19 PM   #24

Hello Vivona,

All of my testing is done at constant current.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:40 AM   #25

I purchased an A540 at Christmas. I have the exact same problem. With alkaline batteries, I can take pictures and not have the low battery indicator go on (I have not tested how many pictures I can take).

But with almost any type if NiMh rechargable, I can take only a few, if any, pictures before the low battery comes on. I have an assortment of battery types and chargers, including everyready and rayovac, plus some others.

Yesterday I bought some of the Rayovac "hybrid" batteries at Target, 4 for $9.99. right out of the package, they also showed low battery indicated. I have not charged them yet. I could not find the Sanyo batteries.

I think I will contact Canon next. I can't return the camera, so I need a fix. I don't want to use expensive non-rechargable batteries. I would not recommend that anyone buy this camera if this problem persists. You should be able to use any Nimh battery.

thanks
jharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:40 AM   #26

I purchased an A540 at Christmas. I have the exact same problem. With alkaline batteries, I can take pictures and not have the low battery indicator go on (I have not tested how many pictures I can take).

But with almost any type if NiMh rechargable, I can take only a few, if any, pictures before the low battery comes on. I have an assortment of battery types and chargers, including everyready and rayovac, plus some others.

Yesterday I bought some of the Rayovac "hybrid" batteries at Target, 4 for $9.99. right out of the package, they also showed low battery indicated. I have not charged them yet. I could not find the Sanyo batteries.

I think I will contact Canon next. I can't return the camera, so I need a fix. I don't want to use expensive non-rechargable batteries. I would not recommend that anyone buy this camera if this problem persists. You should be able to use any Nimh battery.

thanks
jharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:43 PM   #27

The Sanyo eneloops are available from Circuit City and Ritz Camera. Online they are available from Thomas Distributing and Amazon.com.

I would try a set before giving up on the camera. I don't know how well the Rayovac Hybrids measure up as far as voltage goes. I do know the eneloops work very well in the A540.
vivona is offline   Reply With Quote