Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:00 AM   #1

I guess Canon should start looking into this model also for their bad CCD. I purchased this camera Oct. 2005 and only have taken less than 100 pics so far. Last ones on Dec. 25, 2006. Yesterday Dec. 29 I went to take some photo's and nothing could be seen through the eye piece or LCD. When I pointed it into extreme daylight a faint image appeared, then nothing at all. Canon advises to send in for Tech repair. I think this is another model affected with the Sony CCD but will find out soon.

This Camera has never been dropped or mishandled. It is in pristine condition and stored in a good camera bag with hanging support so camera never gets banged around. As a matter of fact it nevers leaves our house. I use my old HP850 for outside shooting.

Has anyone else expierenced this problem ?

als_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:45 PM   #2

I had the exact same problem. I got my S2 IS in Dec 05 and earlier this year the imager quit generating an image. After going through troubleshooting and reset procedures they asked me to send the camera in for service. I never got an explanation from them, but they sent it back out almost soon as they received it. It now works perfectly again.
scorp64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:37 AM   #3

I bought the S2is in 2005, august. Now I've the same problem. It seems to be the same problem. Sent a mail to the service point in Belgium... I'm waiting for what they are going to ask me...
Marc Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:22 AM   #4

Here's an update tothe failure of the Canon S2 IS,the CCD is bad as reported to me by Canon and they want $120.00 plus shipping for the repair. After arguing with them they reduced the repair price 20%. Consumers BEWARE this cameera has problems like the other models that use the Sony CCD, but they won't admitt it. I also understand the S3ISis affected withthe same type of problem. I would suggest anyone buying one of these models to buy the Store extended warranty with replacement.

This will be the final Canon Camera I will purchase regardless of the features offered. The only reason I purchased this camera at the time, is due to the fact I needed the IS function due to my first stage of Parkinsons. Since many other Manufactures are producing Cameras with IS I guess I will purchase one of them.

Consummer BEWARE!!!

Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:30 AM   #5

Also here's another Canon problem. I asked for the old parts to be returned to me and was told they do not return the old parts. I believe since I am paying for the repair of my LEMON camera I am intitled to the old parts but they refuse to give them back. I am almost sure they return them to SONY to get a refund or replacement, leaving me without any proof of what caused the camera to fail.

I don't know what is going on with this Company but something is wrong here. I have used Canon products since 1994 and never had problems like this
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:24 PM   #6

We bought our s2 in late april 2005 and I´ve taken more than 5000 images and avi´s and as to date have never experienced any problems similar to yours other than ocassional blurred image used to have an a95 before this so it was a pretty good upgrade for us, we expect to buy s3 or s4 whenever it comes out
crismardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:34 AM   #7

Hi chris,

I'm glad you haven't had any od the problems I have had. But as of today the still haven't received the parts they need to fix my camera. It appears there is a long waiting list for the CD from Sony. The S3IS also uses the same CCD from what tech support has told me. They so far have offered me a replacement camera (for the repair price), which is down to $103.00 since they have such a large back order for this part. I hope yours remains as good as it has been to you.

I only took 83 pics with this camera in 14 months and I feel i am being ripped off. BTW Irefused the replacement offer since they are returned cameras from stores (why)

Well good luck with yours and your future purchase.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:02 AM   #8

Canon S2IS, Matrix (aka CCD) or Diaphragm (Aperture)?

Diagnosis advice needed

I am having a problem with my Canon S2IS and I need some advice how to proceed. Let me begin by saying I am not camera savvy so please answer me in "camera idiot" language.

The Camera history:

I bought a new Canon S2IS in Canada about 18 months ago. The camera has not been used extensively and also has always been treated gently. About 4 months ago (just after expiration of the warranty L) the camera started to display the following symptoms intermittently. The LCD would be black in all shooting modes (LCD works fine in "review" mode as I can view any photos I took before the problem started and any photos I load on to the card from an external source). Also, the camera will take a photo in any shooting mode, but the photo is just black. But it did take a photo and I could see in review mode that an all black photo had been taken. I was able to get rid of the problem temporarily by turning the camera off and on or switching back and forth between shooting mode and review mode. The problem continued occurring more and more frequently until finally the LCD was permanently black in shooting mode.

I did some research on the internet and found that these symptoms match exactly the symptoms many cameras (not only Canon) have been having with the matrix (CCD). There are many websites saying it is caused by a defective CCD where the wiring comes loose and most manufacturers are offering free repair regardless of warranty status (The S2IS is on the list of affected cameras but the S2IS is not (yet) on the list).

My problem:

I am now living permanently in Ukraine. I am living in a small city that does not have a Canon digital camera service center. I took the camera to a Canon rep here (however they are not a service center). I told him the symptoms and he looked at it for about 1 minute (he did not take it apart and look inside) and immediately said it is a defective matrix and a common problem not only with Canon cameras. I asked how sure he was, he said 110%.

I checked Canon Canada/America and Western Europe websites and all offer free repair for this problem. I called the closest Canon service center (about 600km away in Kiev) and the rep told me, "In Eastern Europe we don't give a f#%$ what the Canon websites in Canada or Western Europe say about free repair, we are not repairing it for free". He also kept repeating "The S2IS is not on the list of affected cameras". After further internet research I found the parent company of Eastern Europe Canon is in Finland (which IS part of Canon Western Europe). I phoned Finland, who asked me to followup with an email and shortly thereafter the Canon rep in Kiev RELUCTANTLY said I can ship the camera to any Canon service center in Kiev and IF the problem is the matrix they will repair it for free.

As I said, the problem occurred almost 4 months ago, it was 2 months convincing Kiev Canon rep to accept my camera, I shipped it to Kiev, it sat on the shelf of the service center for 2 months! After many phone calls someone finally looked at it. And, as I expected, they told me there is no problem with the matrix/CCD, the problem is that the diaphragm (aperture) doesn't open. That to repair the problem means replacing the entire lens system for $325US and better to buy a new camera from them (convenient!).

I am suspicious they are bullshitting me and I need advice. I told them to return the camera to me and I now have it back in my possession.

Advice?

Is there any way for ME to test if the problem is the matrix/CCD or if it is a jammed diaphragm (aperture)?

If not, as I said before, there are some Canon reps here (but not service centers). Is there anything they could do to test if the problem is the matrix/CCD or if it is the diaphragm?

If not, any other suggestions how I should proceed? It seems crazy that after 14 months the camera has a problem where the solution is to throw it in the garbage and buy a new one.

I have one other option, an American friend from Ohio will be visiting me soon and I could send the camera with him to Ohio for diagnosis. Not my preferred option since he doesn't know when he is coming back.

Thank-you in advance,

Frustrated

rbtcnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:56 AM   #9

Okay here is where I stand now. I called Canon on Jan. 23, 2007 to find out about the status of my S2IS. This very nice gentlemen put me on hold 3 or 4 times to check out where my parts are. Finally he returned and said since I have been waiting so long , Canon was going to send me an upgrade to the S3IS and I should receive it by the end of the week or the begining of the next week.

I checked my repair order number and it was deleted from the service list for 2 days. I figured they would post a shipping or tracking number. Then I received an email from the service department with an FED EX tracking number and it said it was to be delivered on Monday Jan. 29, 2007.

I eagerly awaited the FedEX truck and it finaly showed up about 3 p.m. I couldn't wait to open the box and guess what. There in brown wrapping paper and plastic bag was my OLD S2IS. with the repairs marked completed. I called them back and asked WHAT HAPPENED to my upgrade S3IS. The person (woman) on the other end told me they were sorry, but, they have no refurbished S3IS's in stock. So they took parts due for some-one elses camera and repaired mine.

There is a lesson to this story and it is Canon is FULL OF Sh**. They lied about the repair, they lied about the replacement and they lied about the defective camera part that is a continuing problem for them. I guess eventually they will admitt fault with this model as they did with the S1IS and the same problem thay are having with the S3IS. The moral here is stay away from LEMON, oh I mean CANON, slip of the finger.

Goodbye CANON, you will never see another dollar from me...