Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:36 AM   #11

And, here is how my old A40 sees the purple screen:
Attached Images

vivona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:56 AM   #12

I must admit, that you are possibly right- I had the same results when taking an image from DCF Full Spectrum screen on an ViewSonic 19" LCD. See the picture. I even opened my picture and the DCF screens side by side to be indeed sure. Why only possibly? Because I want to test the problem when shooting on a purple paper, not an LCD. Although I guess the results might be the same...
Attached Images

Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:01 PM   #13

Okay, here's an interesting question. If the lack of purple comes from the fact that digital cameras make their colors from Red, Green and Blue, and if LCD Computer Monitor screens make their colors from Red, Green and Blue, then how is it the LCD screen can show purple so well?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:14 AM   #14

This is a really interesting topic, and I'd like to bump it up, as I too have had horrible problems with my Panasonic Lumix regarding purple/blue. I tried to take photos of a wall of beautiful fuschia wildflowers in Sicily and they came out a blue/lavendar. I thought it was this model of camera and so have been considering changing to a Canon A710, so it's reasurring to hear colours are more accurate.
soisbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:57 PM   #15

I just found this topic and was thinking about this being a white balance issue (the helmet that is). Took a couple of pictures of the purple web site and sure enough, the pictures came out blue in my Canon A610 using different white balance settings. However I wonder if the fact that I am taking the pictures from a screen and not from an actual purple object or from purple lighting has any effect. I know I have taken pictures of a stage where there were purple lights and were coming out as blue in the pictures until I adjusted the white balance to either sun light or fluorescent... (can't remember which).
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:15 PM   #16

Ok those of you who took blue pictures of the purple screen go back andtake a picture of a real purple object to see if there is any difference. I looked around to see if there was a purple object around and sure enough, I found one. Not just any purple object, but a pack of blank DVDs which have both ends of the visible spectrum next to each other. This was taken under fluorescent lighting with white balance set to auto. No post processing other than resizing.

For some reason taking a picture of a purple screen is not the same as a real purple object.

Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:22 PM   #17

Thank you luisr, so you think it is a white balance issue and just to play around with the settings?
soisbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:04 PM   #18

Yes, I think it *COULD* be a white balance issue.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:00 AM   #19

Nope, it is not a white balance issue. You can have perfect white balance and still not have purple recorded fully. It is a well-known issue with digital cameras and has to do with the "color gamut". The gamut is the range of visible colors that the camera can record. Purple, which is at the extreme end of the visible spectrum, is out of the range of what most digital cameras can "see".

This issue has been extensive discussed at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...sage=19238632.