Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:50 AM   #1

Hi, I bought the canon sd800 camera and I am having a problem with the colors it reproduces. My daughters room is a purple color as is almost everything she owns. When I use the sd800 to take pictures of some shades of purple, it always shows the color as blue. Anyone notice this on their sd800?

Here is my daughters bike helmet. It is a purple color and this was taken with my old sony p10 digital camera. This is the accurate color of the helmet.

This one is taken with my new canon sd800…it comes out blue. Its pretty bad when the colors are this off.

one028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:41 PM   #2

Hi, I wonder if this could just be a white balance problem. I believe the SD800 has a manual mode for white balance. Try using that and see if the colours are more accurate.
luceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:36 PM   #3

I have noticed the same problem with my PowerShot A540. Sometimes I can get a better color balance by running through the different White Balance settings or by trying the manual white balance mode, but the results are not consistent. Sometimes purple will look blue on the LCD, but look the correct purple color when I view it on the PC. In fact, the difference between the colors on the LCD and on the PC probably account for why it is hard to get a consistent white balance setting.

The problem is not just with purple. Some browns come out with a yellowish tint. Look at the color of the leather seat in your photos. In the SD800 picture the seat has a bit of a yellowish tint. Sometimes yellows look orange. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what the color shift is, just that the colors are not the same as the actual item photographed.

I have noticed that the problem is worse with closeups, particularly in macro mode. My previous Canon, an A40, was much better with color balance.

Have you found a solution for your SD800?
vivona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:10 PM   #4

I have been researching this problem and found a website that claims that it is a design characteristic of digital cameras. Follow this link http://www.tribecalabs.com/dcf.html and have your camera ready (flash off) to take a picture of your computer screen while you read all about it. Of course, the website will offer you software for $49 that will fix it for you. That leaves me with the question, if it can be fixed with software, why doesn't the camera do it in the first place?

Then I found more on the subject over at these dpreview threads:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19238632

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19752851

I am still reading my way through them...

Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:58 PM   #5

I'm a bit late into this thread because I just switched from Kodak DX7440 to Canon A710IS. I swap because the indoor shots with flash regardless of WB and other settings were always wrong with the Kodak. Especially it could be seen on people's faces- they were purplered. And that was confirmed on many major Photo site's different Kodak camera reviews. I switched to Canon, because I was secure by my research work, that Canon besides by being the most favourite brand, has as well the most accurate colours. And now I can confirm it by my own A710 tests- the skin tones are absolutly perfect, asis the overall colour balance. Perfect!

I became a bit worried when read this thread, but now, after my test, I can say that both on tha cameras LCD and on my CRT monitor the purple colour is right. Of coarse someone can possibly buy an inferior sample even from Canon.

Look at the attached image of purple coffee pack!
Attached Images

Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:07 PM   #6

Cool
Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:12 PM   #7

And:
Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:46 PM   #8

After reading the information at the links I posted previously, it is clear that this is a "color gamut" issue and not one of white balance. Not all cameras see every visible color, some colors are outside of the range, or gamut, of colors that camera can pick up. The reason this is so evident with purple is that purple is at the extreme end of the range of visible color.

The reason the beige leather seat looks a bit yellow is beige is a blend of colors and when you remove purple from beige you get the opposite color, which is yellow. I proved this in Photoshop by taking a picture of beige that looked too yellow and adding an adjustment layer with light purple and the beige looked more correct.

For my A540, the problem seems to be more with the LCD and not the pictures that end up on the chip. When I view purple pictures from the chip on my computer, they look much closer to the original color, though not as fully so for the deep purple at http://www.tribecalabs.com/dcf.html

So, it seems that some Canon cameras do better than others with this extreme part of the color spectrum. The pictures from Marinjo's Canon A710 and from kenbalbari's camera look quite good with purple.

kenbalbari, what model camera did you use for those pictures?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:31 AM   #9

Not being an digital camera expert at all, though I assume, that because of using the same size CCD - 1/2.5", the same or closecount of sensor photo detectors (pixels)- from 5Mp to 8Mp, and the same processing software- Digic II, all the latest Canon's compact class cameras (A500's, A600's, A700's, SD series) should perform very close to each other. So I don't think that this problem, if it really persists, regards a particular model. I guess it could beadressedto some possibly inferioir sensor .
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:31 AM   #10

I get the same results with two different A540's and my old A40. I went to the store and tested several displayed cameras and they all, to some extent, displayed purple as blue on their LCD. There are references to the lack of purple in digital cameras in most of the camera forums (see my previous links). This, and the fact that Tribeca Imaging makes a living selling software that restores purple to digital photographs, makes me believe that this is not a defect, but a characteristic of some (but not all) digital cameras. It appears that the A710 does better than others in this regard.

Here is how my A540 sees the Tribeca purple screen:
Attached Images