Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:52 AM   #11

THus, we might see an upgrade for the firmware to support the SDHC then?

Or else, the maximum is quite limited.
fat_miao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:04 AM   #12

I don't know whether Canon would be truthful or not about a new model? Thinking about it, there seems to be a shortage of the S3 right now. So, even if they have a newer and improved version ready to go they'd probably hold off on it till sales of the S3 sold.

On the Sanyo forum, there is a member that is actually an employee of Sanyo and posts info on new models, which will be imported, firmware updates etc.

It sure would be nice if someone from Canon would participate in this forum.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:40 PM   #13

I love my S3IS and have very few probs. High ISO noiseis there on the S3IS but there is still quite a bit of detail still there and with Neat Image you can really still use ISO 400-800 shots with some PP. I suspect if Canon does try to make a change in that area the results will most likely be similiar to the G7, which is only marginally better at ISO 400 and 800 than the S3IS. (and ISO 1600 setting is useless and just there basically for decoration and so Canon can say it has one) In an attempt to keep up with Fuji's ISO 1600 range and DSLR users almost all the major Digicam giants are now adding at least 800 if not a useless 1600 option. The low light focus capability being improved would also be a great step forward on the next model- S4IS? Anyhow the S3IS is still the best Mega-zoom currently with only a few faults to be found. :G

Matt, PA. U.S.
Attached Images

Photofreak777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:11 PM   #14

Here is an ISO800, no flash, dim ********* from the S3IS. Run thru 'Neat Image' and it still looks fairly detailed and the noise level is now 'livable' :|

Matt, PA U.S.
Attached Images

Photofreak777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:20 AM   #15

lmn927 wrote:
Quote:
I just spoke with Canon via phone and was told they have no plans to upgrade the S3 at this time.

I believe this is exactly what Canon's response was when asked about the replacement for the S1IS. Iremember because I bought my S1IS based on Canon response that they had no plans to replace it. They did however announce therelease of the S3 about 3 months later, After I had bought the S1IS. It's all strategy, they just want you to buy up the old model and they know you may not do so if you know that the replacement is in the works..

Either way, I'm not replacing my S1IS until they at least announce The next model this time around. If that 's a year from now, so be it!

I'll either have to save up for the next one,or get a killer deal on the S3. Whatever the case may be, I'm waitingthis time round!!!!

lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:08 PM   #16
Administrator

lmn927 wrote:
Quote:
I just spoke with Canon via phone and was told they have no plans to upgrade the S3 at this time.
This is always their "stock" answer, it's company policy. Look for Canon's 2007 product announcement in the next couple of weeks, they'll have lots of new cameras for PMA 2007 in March.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote