Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:25 AM   #1

Hi! I am currently using a 1GB SD card for my Canon Powershot S2IS. The manual talks about a max of 1GBcard that can be used with the model.

1)Will the camerawork with a 2GB or greater SD card?

2) If yes, will I have the advantages of recording moviesof larger duration?

Regds,

Madhu
madhuveeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:15 AM   #2

Hi Madhu,

I don't know (not able to tried as the local vendor does not have it) But you should go with your camera at Vendor's shop. Try to test those 2GB with Cont. capturing shot-to-shot. Try a test movie in full resolution for as long as possible. Play back all those and decide.

Anyway keep away from local chinese or unreputated brands otherwise you may be in trouble like me : http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

- Rakesh Gupta
rakeshkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:18 PM   #3

I use a generic 2GB 133X card in my S2IS. It works great. I haven't tried video yet. I'll try it this week and let you know how it turns out.

rtronick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:56 PM   #4

1) Yes you can. I'm using a GXT 2GB 150x for my S2IS and it works just great.

2) Yes and no. You're still limited to 1GB max file size, meaning that you can have two 1GB movies on a 2GB card, but not one 2GB movie. Plan accordingly if you're filming something long, like a wedding or graduation.
Nordicwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 3:57 AM   #5

I got a generic 2GB SD card a few weeks ago at Micro Center for $30. Last I looked they were down to $22. :-( Anyway, it worked in my S2 IS but I could only shoot a few seconds of video before the buffer filled and it stopped shooting. Also, I could only shoot a burst of a dozen or so shots before the buffer filled. I've never had that problem with the KINGMAX SDC-001G3L 60x card I've been using for nearly two years. So if you don't plan to use burst mode much and and only a few seconds of video at a time, you should be OK. But the camera is limited to 1GB of video per clip, regardless of the size of the card. And you will need a reasonably fast card to shoot that much video.

I ended up using the card in my GPS, where read/write speed isn't an issue.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:00 PM   #6

Staples had Sandisk Ultra 2, 2GB cards for $39 when I was in there a few days ago. They've had them for $49 for quite a while now.

I've used Sandisk Ultra 2 cards for several years in Canon, Sanyo, and Minolta cameras shooting lots of video and continuous shots.

They have never failed.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:25 PM   #7
mrb

I also use SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB in my S2 IS, and it works well. Read/write speed seems to be pretty quick, though I've never tried a single video recording more than about 5 minutes long at high res.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote