Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:04 PM   #1

Bought a Canon A540 and flash recharge/blank screen was too slow for my two beagles running all over the place. I don't like the flip out LCD so my next choice is the 710IS. Is the IS feature something done with ISO or magic in the CANON?

Looking for something to take on hikes, for my two beagles and family gatherings - to replace my SONY DSC-W5 which was quite fast. The 710IS looks like a great canera and the reviews are awesome - similar to the FUJI F30. I guess these two are comparable cameras?

Thanks for any comments!
dmz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:40 PM   #2

The IS in the A710is is the proper physical stabilisation not the false "boost iso and shutter speed" stabilisation used in some cameras.

In fact Dpreview is currently having quite a go at this false labeling of stabilisation you sometimes see, many long and tedious threads about that over there if you are interested..

The lens (or parts of it) actually shifts to counteract shake.

However the Fuji F30 beats it utterly and jumps up and down on the corpse when comparing high ISO pictures..

Users report slow flash recharge, not sure how long exactly, 6-8 secs ??

I am sure the forum has a post covering that somewhere or other.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:35 PM   #3

Thanks - that helps alot. I know Canon uses this process - understand the NIKON P3 also uses this as well instead of higher ISO settings?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:33 PM   #4

I now have my A710 IS for almost two months and I am quite satisfied with it. The image stabiliser works very well. Image quality is at the top end of what you can expect from a camera with a tiny 1/2.5" sensor. On the other hand the F30 has a much larger 1/1.7" sensor. Thus despite less megapixels the F30 should deliver better image quality especially if light is not optimal and if you can avoid shake. However, with its larger zoom range and better movie mode, I prefer the A710.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:59 PM   #5

Thanks - bought the A710 and not happy with the lag between shots. I have two active beagles and my Sony DSC-W5 kept up with them - the LCD goes blank and it is about 3-6 seconds between shots - that is on automatic. Maybe I am expecting too much out of much more of a camera?? I went from 5.1 MP to the Canon 7.1 - doe that take longer to write? Maybe I need something like the SD800IS - those are supposed to be rapid shots?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:32 AM   #6

dmz19 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks - bought the A710 and not happy with the lag between shots. I have two active beagles and my Sony DSC-W5 kept up with them - the LCD goes blank and it is about 3-6 seconds between shots - that is on automatic.
What you describe, does only happen if you use the flash. It is a conseuqence of the two battery design.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:01 PM   #7

Wanted to throw in a plug for the movie mode of the A710. I actually use it more than the still mode. I'm a quail hunter and like to take flicks of the dogs pointing and retrieving the occasional quail that I bag. The 710 is better than the little Sanyo C5 I used to carry in several ways. It is easily put into action with one hand when kept in the left shirt pocket with the battery protusion on top and forward. Having a viewfinder is a BIG advantage over just the screen on the Sanyo. With a 2GB Sandisk ultra 2, I get 17 minutes of video. That's plenty, but to be sure, I carry an extra card. I find that the battery life is fine, the only limitation there being the slow recycle time on flash photos due to the 2 AA configuration. The optical image stabilization is excellent.

Handling the movie files from the 710 is a snap. I record them directly to a DVD hard drive, then make a DVD periodically.

I think the 710 is pretty much ideal as an all around camera/camcorder. I really would prefer the S3 IS for the extra zoom but it's a bit too large for my shirt pocket.

The only drawback I've found is the occasional tendancy to accidentally change the movie mode. The selector is always live when in the movie mode (or P mode for stills) and rather easy to accidentally hit with the heel of your hand. However, it's also just as easy to change back to "Normal".

Anyone wanting a smallish camera/camcorder that does most everything would be very happy with the 710.

Almost forgot,......quality of the stills and movies both are excellent.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:13 AM   #8

Yup, slow flash recharge 3-5 secs, LCD off to allocate more juice for flash recharge, a function of only 2 AAs. Not a good camera if you take lots of indoor, flash shots.

But.... try setting custom white balance to interior lighting, no flash, slower shutter speeds and use the IS. The 710 is a great low light (non-flash) camera - definitely for still shots, and can actually yield cool movement shots. My new favorite is catching the subject still with movement blurr around them. Take your dog... a still face shot with a blurry, wagging tail.

I actually have found (because of the 710), that I don't like flash shots... the lighten is way too harsh. Available lighting just seems so much warmer... and inviting.

I'm loving this camera.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:46 AM   #9

Why doesn't Canon just split the difference and go with a 3 battery design to increase the flash cycle performance?
tkane18 is offline   Reply With Quote