Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:32 PM   #1

I got the Canon SD600 PowerShot 600 digi-cam for Christmas & have not been able to upload my pictures on it since!

I know a few people have had the same problem. My problem IS THE SAME EXACT ONE as this guys:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=93239&forum_id=46

I downloaded the driver he said to in his last post in hopes of solving this issue, but when I open the installer (SETUP.exe), IT WON'T INSTALL!
Instead, it opens up as if it's going to install, then I keep getting an error saying:

"WIA Driver file for Windows XP not found. Click O.K. to cancel installation."

I mean... I am trying to install the WIA driver, so obviously I don't have it, therefore why would it be found or not?

I don't feel like buying a memory card reader for something that should work without one. I'M DESPERATE! Please help!

Thank you.
QUICK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:11 AM   #2

Hello,

For what it's worth i use a card reader anyway..... For about $20 it may well be woth it to reduce your stress .. and as a benifit your camera batteries dont have to have a good charge to download... Also, i dont use the Canon software, rather another photo editor like Picasa2 (free) which works well for me to catalogue and email.. Wish i could be of more help with the PC part..

Good luck,

Michael ....
Rebelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:11 AM   #3

Hello,

For what it's worth i use a card reader anyway..... For about $20 it may well be woth it to reduce your stress .. and as a benifit your camera batteries dont have to have a good charge to download... Also, i dont use the Canon software, rather another photo editor like Picasa2 (free) which works well for me to catalogue and email.. Wish i could be of more help with the PC part..

Good luck,

Michael ....
Rebelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:31 AM   #4

I haven't installed the software to transfer pics, I plug the ca,era and once it has the icon I right-click and choose where it is to put the photos and then it does it by itself.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:27 PM   #5

I have the sd700 is and have recently compared using a card reader with the cable supplied by Canon. I only used the cable, since I was recommending the camera to a friend and thought it would be a good idea to test whether I should suggest buying a card reader (which I already had) or whether this was an unncecessary expense. The manual says one should use the Canon supplied software when using the cable.

My take: The Canon software is very clunky and prone to crash. I would strongly recommend a card reader. They are cheap and you can use them with Windows just like you would use any other device, such as a jump drive or an external hard drive. I recommended to my friends that they should buy a card reader.

Bryan
BryanBoulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:24 AM   #6

man for God's sake go here and order a $4.99 card reader and you will love it and never want to connect another camera to a computer again.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=0&Ntk=all

I got this reader and it is awesome

I have owned about 8 digital cameras and I never connected a one to the computer.

I hate the software that all the cameras use. AllI want is to get my pics copied onto my hard drive so I can put them on a cd or dvd for backup and the card reader is a lot better and a lot faster than connecting the camera and using the camera software.

Try it you will love it

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:17 AM   #7

Let me recommend free cam2pc. http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/ Once configured, all you do is plug in your camera to the USB cable, sit back while it copies/moves the pictures to a folder of your choice, and displays the first image. Space bar advances or sideshow. Very simple