Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:26 AM   #1

Hi Everyone,

I know these two cameras are very different and fill two market, but my need are in-between what they can offer and I need help choosing. Although the 12x optical zoom of the S3 is nice, I think I can live with the 6x zoom of the G7 (my bigest lens on my SLR is a 200mm and it always been enough for me). Also, thehigher resolutionof the G7 will enable me to crop my images if I ever need to focus on a smaller element of the frame. More then these features, the size of the G7 is the most apealing thing about it : if it fits in a pocket, it's going to get used alot more.

However, what could change my opinion toward a S3 are factors that aren't listed in their marketting description : How do they compare quality wise ? Is the IS of the S3 better then the one of the G7 ? Does the S3 sport a lense of better optics quality ? Sould I consider the fact that the S3 can be hand-held in a more stable matter (bigger weight, bigger inertia) ? CCD quality ?

Any quick advice would be appreciated (I'm buying tonight or tomorrow).
serenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:09 PM   #2

another feature of the G7 you didn't mention is the fact that it also has a hot shoe for an external flash. May not be a big deal to some, but an external flash is so much better than the built in flash just about any camera.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:14 PM   #3

After handleing the G7 and the S3, it didn't take long for me to choose the G7. I think that the G7 is a great instant-moment picture grabber while the S3 is more for the picture hunters of us. The difference is that I can carry the G7 arround even when I don't plan on using it.

I think I might buy the Wide angle and Telephoto lensescombo for those days where I don't mind carrying more stuff, although it will set me back another $250... it will have to wait.

One thing people should keep in mind though is to buy a fast flash card. The 4gb Class 2 SDHC card I bought has barely the minimum required write speed for high quality video and can't be used optimaly for high quality smooth continuous shooting. You should aim for at least a Class 6 card (6-7mb/sec write speed)
serenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:04 PM   #4

I have the G7 and I find I take this camera everywhere with me. I found a case for it that fits perfect and it stays on my belt all day at work. And since most of my work is outside you never know when you might see something interesting.Just took this one 30 minutes ago picking up my wifes dry cleaning. Trying to get a little creative.

I could be wrong but I believe the G7 has the newer IS built into it.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:01 PM   #5

Had an S1 is, liked it. But flash shoe and probably better overall quality has me lusting for G6 or G7 since I gave the S1 away. As I have the 30d, I would also like something for carrying around and motorcycle trips. Long zoom was nice, tho.
Tumak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:35 PM   #6

Due to the larger sensor (1/1.8" of the G7 versus 1/2.5" of the S3) the G7 will deliver visibly better image quality. Also the G7 is more compact and has a [email protected] fps movie mode. Otherwise I see no advantage of the G7 over the S3.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote