Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:25 PM   #21

More of the same.

RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:31 AM   #22

Hi RachDressing, I don't ownan A710 but I'll comment some of your images based on my photographic experience. First and foremost, do not use digital zoom unless you really have to and in that case, make sure you have a tripod. Digital zoom is a marketing tool (IMO). Camera manufacturers often advertise total zoom by multiplying the optical by the digital zoom (a 3x optical zoom camera with a 4x digital zoom all of a sudden becomes a 12x zoom camera...NOT!). Some cameras have slightly better digital zoom than others but the fact is, the more DZ you use, the worse the results. So, turn it off. If you really need the extra zoom, buy yourself one of those 12X optical zoom cameras, such as the Canon S3, Pana FZ8, etc.

The poles shot, how close to the poles were you? It seems like the rocks and the ocean behind them were somewhat in focus, which may indicate that you were too close to them, thus the camera could not focus properly. I don't think you were using DZ because the background seems to be focused.

The roof shots are intriguing because the focal length appears to be the same so the use of DZcould be anissue. Some times you think you are steady but you are not. The use of DZ could certainly cause the inconsistencies seen here.Did you change any of the camera setting at all between shots?Was the ISON on all shots? Did you pre-focus each shot before taking the pictures? It almost looks like the camera did not have a chance to properly focus.

The balcony shots were greatly zoomed. The same with the street sign and beach shots. You can only get that type of magnification if you use full digital zoom. I download those pictures but the EXIF data was not available. Can you post an un-edited version?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:15 PM   #23

Hello Tullio. I'm very sorry for getting back to you so late. Please accept my apology. I hope you're out there.

You wanted to know how close I was to those 3 yellow poles. The 3 yellow poles that has the ocean in the backround. I think I was about 30 to 50 feet away from them.

Regarding the roof shots, you wanted to know: "Did you change any of the camera setting at all between shots?"

Those shots were taken several weeks ago. When you say "settings,"I will have to say that I shot them all in autofocus. They were all shot at pretty much the same focal length, I believe.

"Was the image stabilizer ON on all shots?"

This is where I'm going to look like a real dummy. I didn't know that a person had the option of turning the image stabilizer on and off. I had read the manual, but I must have missed that part. So, I really don't know if the IS was on during the time I shot those. Sorry. You taught me a lesson that I needed to learn.

"Did you pre-focus each shot before taking the pictures? It almost looks like the camera did not have a chance to properly focus."

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that question. Everything was shot in autofocus mode, so I guess the answer to that would be yes.

I want to thank you for your post. I learned alot from it. It's people like you who make the Internet a great place to go to. Thanks again.
RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:15 PM   #24

Yes, I'm still here. Well, unfortunately, none of the photos has EXIF data I can look at. I think you were using digital zoom on most pictures and that's the bulk of the problem. I suggest you switch DZ off. As for the auto focus, what that means is that the camera will do the focusing, not you. However, you can pre-focus by pressing the shutter button half way. Usually cameras have a little box in the middle of the EVF/LCD and when you point it to your subject and half press the shutter, it turns green when the subject is on focus and the the camera will lock it until you fully press the shutter button to take the picture. By doing this, you'll guarantee your subject is always on focus. If you don't get the green square (read your camera's manual to see how it displays the focus), that means the camera has not been able to focus for whatever reason. Taking the picture will give you garbage. Some cameras will not let you take the picture at all if focus can not be accomplished but I don't think that's the case with this camera. So, it is possible that you press the shutter button all the way causing the picture to be taken w/o the image being properly focused. Hope this helps.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote