Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1

The 710 has a serious problem..........the pictures are not sharp.......I took pics with my Fuji s7000 and compared them to the 710....the Fuji is much sharper...sent camera back and canon installed new parts........same problem, but not as bad.........am sending back again today..............brand new camera.........not a good show.......also the pictures look washed out compared to the Fuji s7000.........I was looking for a good pocket camera, but so far this isn't it...........
leop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:04 AM   #2

I guess this has to do with focusing. Perhaps when shooting indoors the shooting mode you used was by default set to AiAF,which is multizone. A710IS uses 9 multizoneframes and if you don't pay attention to wich zone (focus frame) does the autofocus has been focused, there is a possibility, that it has been focused on an different object than that you 've been wished to shoot at! In such situations it could be preferable to set the autofocusing in Menu to Center.

Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:20 AM   #3

Show us a picture which exhibits your IQ problem. Here is a full resolution picture from my A710 IS:

That is about the best you can get from a tiny 1/2.5" sensor.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:45 AM   #4

Hi leop, I have been having problems similar to yours with my A710is.

I've had the camera for three weeks now and can't get a nice crisp shot. Macro gives razor sharp images, but anything shot further than about three feet (no, I didn't forget to get out of macro) just doesn't turn out well. In my case, the focus and depth of field are not the problem as I shoot in manual , Av or Tv and use a tripod. I have even had my photography teacher take the camera home and try it out.

I must say that I am quite disappointed as I love this camera for its size and versatility, but can't stand pictures this soft.Too bad it can't take pictures that are half asgood as a little Pentax Optio sI carry around everywhere I go. I got this camera because I wanted the good picture quality that everyone seems to begetting, along with the manual control that Idon't have with the Optio.

Kassandro, I'm so jealous right now. If only I could get anything near as sharp as that I'd be beter off!
Badeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 3:30 PM   #5

@Badeye:
What kind of autofocus do you use? Does the autofocus frame get green, if you half press the shutter button?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 3:43 PM   #6

I never use the AIAF as I just find it annoying. I usually use either center when off the tripod, or flexizonewith the tripod so that I can have more control on where the camera is going to focus.

I must also say that I am on my second A710 now. The dealer was kind enough to give me another one in hopes that the pictures would be better. Although the quality is much better, I'm still not satisfied. Maybe I'll have to go with a G7 or SLR. As much as possible I wanted to stay away from the size of an SLR because I know that I won't be carrying it with me everywhere I go, which is what I am doing now.

Any comments or advice is appreciated!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:10 PM   #7

Flexizone is very good for macros. Most of the time I use AiAF. It is quite smart. If you are not satisfied with the focus, you can try a second time and the A710 chooses different objects for focusing if there are any. Of course, you have always to check the focus.
For optimal image quality you have also set iso to 100 or even 80.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:32 AM   #8

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
Most of the time I use AiAF. It is quite smart. If you are not satisfied with the focus, you can try a second time and the A710 chooses different objects for focusing if there are any. Of course, you have always to check the focus.
kassandro: Please clearify this to me. I frequently see two or more (mostly 4) focusing frames when I use AiAF. All of them turn green when I halfpress the shutter- how can one know to which of the 4 green frames located in different places has the camera focused? Is it possible that the camera can focus to multiple objects with different distance? I'm too dumb to understand that. :lol:
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:55 AM   #9

Marinjo, hope you don't mind if I take a stab at answering your question.

When the camera's auto focus system locks on to something, it has determined that optimal sharpness has been found for the specificif spot that is highlighted (when only one AF point is used). However, just because the green rectangle is around one area on the screen does not mean that that's the only object in the picture that will be sharp; everything in a plane that distance from the camera should be focused. That is why you hear of focal plane.

Now, in the case of AIAF, rather than simply using one central point and trying to lock onto an object in the middle of the screen (and therefore bring everything that is that far away from the camera into focus) the AF system tries to select based on its algorithm what focus plane will produce the best results. When it does this, several green squares are displayed, showing what areas are considered to be focused. If you play around with it a little, you'll realize that all of the objects that have been locked onto more or less the same distance from the lens. For instance, you don't normally have a focus point on something that is really far away, as well as one that is close to you. The reason is that these two objects are in different focal planes and can't both be in focus at the same time.

This said, there are exceptions. In some conditions, the camera might have trouble focusing, and some far objects may be locked onto at the same time as some nearer ones. This happens when neiter are in optimal focus, but for the purpose of the mathematical algorithm, they both appear to be in better focus than can be got for other areas in the scene.

Hope I've made a decent attempt at answering your question. If anyone feels that I should be corrected, please feel free to do so!

Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:54 AM   #10

Badeye wrote:
Quote:
Now, in the case of AIAF, rather than simply using one central point and trying to lock onto an object in the middle of the screen (and therefore bring everything that is that far away from the camera into focus) the AF system tries to select based on its algorithm what focus plane will produce the best results. When it does this, several green squares are displayed, showing what areas are considered to be focused. If you play around with it a little, you'll realize that all of the objects that have been locked onto more or less the same distance from the lens.
Thanks for help! But I need some more explanationabout AiAF. When the AiAF locks with several green squares, does this meen that these objects are in the same plane (distance) from the camera and so all be in focus (as well as other objects in the same distance),orcan they be in different planes? In a small 2 dimensional LCD screen it is difficult to realize to which objects the green squares are locked! Sometimes one single green square covers another object that is by side, but can be in a different distance. And what favour one can get from this AiAF information? How to use it? What if I see that the green squares are clearly locked to objects within different distances?

Great thanks, Badeye!