Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:38 AM   #11

DaveLundy wrote:
Quote:
Wow! I didn't know there was any compact camera with ISO 3200 capability. That is a nice clean image. Did you do any noise removal post processing? Too bad it has only 3x optical zoom.
Ya the Fuji F30 is used by many DSLR owners as a pocketable camera due to the low noise. (the net forums are full of F30 users) Its sweet spot is at ISO800 - where sometimes I actually have to check and see if I did not mistakingly shoot at ISO200 -that's how clean the images are. And at ISO1600 it is likeCanon's at ISO400. Now I have to admit with a run thru Neat Image I have gotten somehalf decentS3IS ISO800 shots but they still don't come close in noise levels to the F30.
The ISO3200 shot I posted was run thru Neat Image - but as you can see it still retained much detail - I mean lets face it at 3200 we are pushing the envelope a bit! But reallyI can live 3x zoom for the superb results of the F30- if I need more I'll grab my 12x S3IS! (I wish Fuji had put the 5x zoom of the F650 on the F30 then it would be almost a perfect pocket cam.)

Here is the original shotout of the camera:

Attached Images

Photofreak777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:56 AM   #12

rongebriel wrote:
Quote:
yeah, a very clean image. Wonder why Canon is so slow to date! Olympus have now the greatest zoom! Sony now has the fastest cmos sensors. What could possibly canonshow this time?
You have to consider the less aggressive 'in cam' NR approach Canon takes - they can retain more detail at first - but the problem is once you clean them up the detailbecomes moresmeared. With all due respect to the others - Canon does have the G6/G7 which are probably the most versitle cameras out there in 'digicam land' - If the G7 had retained the swivel screen of the G6 and had the lower noiseof my Fuji F30 I would have it right now that is for sure! (+ flash hot shoe, face detection and 6x zoom - all in a pocketable camera!) But for now the awesome coombination of the S3IS and F30 are hard to beat! BTW the F30 does well at low ISO's as well - see F30 ISO100image below:

Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:44 AM   #13

Changeling wrote:
Quote:
Is there any news as to when Canon will release the S4?
Changeling
Who knows? But, I'd guess it had better be soon. Someone just leaked the info on new Sony H9, 15X zoom, 3" tilt screen etc. Between the Sony and the Olympus it would seem that Canon would lose some sales if they don't make an announcement soon.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:53 AM   #14

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
Changeling wrote:
Quote:
Is there any news as to when Canon will release the S4?
Changeling
Who knows? But, I'd guess it had better be soon. Someone just leaked the info on new Sony H9, 15X zoom, 3" tilt screen etc. Between the Sony and the Olympus it would seem that Canon would lose some sales if they don't make an announcement soon.
Makes complete sense to me. I just wonder if Canonwill doenough! If the video and High ISO is good on the H9 it will be a tempting S3IS replacement. I had the original H1 and was actually pleasantly surprised at the quailty of it and that was 2 generations ago!
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:55 PM   #15

garthmoe wrote:
Quote:
I doubt there will be a #4, since the Japanese have a superstition about 4 - something to do with death (?), I think.

The next one will probably be 5.

Garth
In chinese 4 means death. Pronounced "say" in chinese thus the reason why you see a lot of some chinese people that are superstitious will have 8 on thier licence plates. In chinese 8 means prosper. Pronounced "fat" in chinese.

Personaly I don't buy into that supersitition stuff myself. Tho I will admit I am a bit lucky oddly on Friday the 13th. I have won a few draws and once won multiple items on that date.

I've got the S2 right now so no need to upgrade yet. WHen they have some major overhual upgrade then sure I'll buy it but the S3 only has minor upgrades.

Zero_Enigma
zero_enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:17 PM   #16

I would expect Canon to come out with an S3 replacement in May or June. Sony has already press released their new H7 & H9 for product release in April. The H7 & H9 are both 8MP's with 15x optical zoom. Both have a max ISO of 3200. The H9 has a whopping 3.0 pivoting LCD that illuminates at 230,000. The top-end H9 will retail at around $480. I can't believe Canon will sit idly by and watch Sonny grab all the superzoom market share.
hawks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:26 PM   #17

zero_enigma wrote:
Quote:
In chinese 4 means death. Pronounced "say" in chinese thus the reason why you see a lot of some chinese people that are superstitious will have 8 on thier licence plates. In chinese 8 means prosper. Pronounced "fat" in chinese.

Zero_Enigma
I'm guessing that's Cantonese??? In Mandarin (official Chinese), dead is "si" and eight is "ba"

Not that it's relevant to this thread, but it never hurts to learn something new, eh?

Matthew
(jie hun le yi ge bei fang nu ren)(married a girl from the North)
matso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:40 PM   #18

cat's alive - this thread is exciting me. i love my s3... but the noise at higher ISO is killer. sure, i can get noise ninja to help me out but still, IQ is always sacrificed. there is only so much you can do. i wonder if they will put in a better lens... and maybe a bigger sensor... i dont mind if it will be 100g heavier but if they could cram an f1.8-8.0, that would just blow my mind... and maybe ISO til 3200 or something... and bigger video, SDHC, digic3, etc... i have been seriously thinking about getting a dslr but il just hold out til the next release from canon... <watching topic> lol ^o^
ditch_azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:59 AM   #19

Many major retailers have recently dropped the price on the S3-IS to the $307-$310 range. Hmmmm........... S4 coming soon?
tevyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:08 AM   #20

good point @tevyah. moves like this almost always mean a replacement is on the way... <still watching topic... ^_^>
ditch_azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote