Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:34 AM   #21

It could also mean that they are facing someserious competition from Olympus and Sony and can no longersustain their prices. I really don'tbelieve thatCanonhas a replacement for the S3 in store. It would be abad marketing decision if Canon has a new model but it's keeping it in secret. If they do, they should have announced it, even if they are three months behind. I think Canon fans would wait a few months for the S4 (or S5) knowing that it's coming up. On the other hand, they may end upconsidering getting the H7/H9 or the 550 if they want to upgrade.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:06 AM   #22

I wouldn't worry too much about an S4 or S5. I recently tested a 550 against an S3, and the S3 was easily the superior camera, giving sharper results at 12x zoom than the Olympus at 18x. Also, the Olympus has overly-goosed color and the autofocus is poor. But the Olympus blows the Canon away on ergonomics, with a much better feel. The S3 has buttons where my thumb wants to be. Also, I found the LCD on the Canon to be poor. Yes, it rotates, but it's small and dim. In bright daylight, it's useless. Menu navigation on the Olympus makes the Canon seem prehistoric. I didn't think the Canon felt good to use. But that's just one set of hands on one camera. But it's hard to ignore that the Canon's images are superior to the 550. For what it's worth, I stuck with my Olympus UZ-765, since it handles a greater range of shooting situations without menu adjustments than the Canon, andI judged the optical quality about equal.
rfmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:24 PM   #23

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
It could also mean that they are facing someserious competition from Olympus and Sony and can no longersustain their prices. I really don'tbelieve thatCanonhas a replacement for the S3 in store.
I think Canon did have a rather obvious upgrade of the S3 in its pipeline, but was caught by Olympus and also Sony in the cold. The Oly 550 is selling very well and the reviews are better than expected. Canon has to come up with a considerable improvement of the S3 to stay competitive and to sell at premium prices.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:35 AM   #24

rfmax wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much about an S4 or S5. I recently tested a 550 against an S3, and the S3 was easily the superior camera, giving sharper results at 12x zoom than the Olympus at 18x. Also, the.....
I don´t really follow this comparison. Seen a lot of them but find them irrelevant. What I would liketo know is how these cameras compare at 12x? If they are more equal then,I think the Olympus is the better choise since it at least offers 18X for extreme situations. Of course there are otheraspects, this was just about zoom...

AlsoI have seen in the reviewsthat the camera has a hard time focus at 18x, but does anyone know if the problem is as bad at 15x?

AsI see it, Olympus went a bit overboard with this camera and the 18x zoom is maybe excessive and opens for critisism. But it there. I would like to see more how it performs atlower zoom like its competitors have.Don´t see anyone complain that the Olympus have more noise at its maximum ISO (5000?) than the Canon at it´s max (800).
twallsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:00 AM   #25

In the UK a few major companies (eg Jessops) have stopped stocking the S3.

Surely this means it's 'on its way out'? :?
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:35 AM   #26

Beejygirl wrote:
Quote:
In the UK a few major companies (eg Jessops) have stopped stocking the S3.

Surely this means it's 'on its way out'? :?
Jessops stopped selling it last December at the latest. I know- I bought their last one (which I had to return for a refund as it was faulty!).
nilescrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:43 AM   #27

sigh... i only wish they could at least leak a crack of a ray of news as to their decision in releasing a replacement. i am on the verge of buying a 2nd hand 350d (i only got enough to buy a 2nd hand one)... all i need is a better sensor, a better ISO (less noise and stuff), and maybe digic3. oh well, i guess i'll just hold on to my hat just a bit more...
ditch_azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 10:50 PM   #28

Take a look here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=15

or here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23103405
pdannatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 8:44 AM   #29

this thread is finally coming to a close.

yep, @pdannatt is right. the s5 IS is out (i guess canon is really superstitious, skipping 4)! there were 3 main things i was looking forward to: hot shoe, iso and bigger sensor. it's still 1/2.5 " Type CCD but hey, 8MP is perfect for me - and 2 out of 3 just makes life sweeter. anybody wants to buy my s3? i'm getting the s5 as soon as i can rustle up some kwon. woohoo!!!
ditch_azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote