Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 27, 2007, 5:25 PM   #1

Is there any news as to when Canon will release the S4?
Changeling

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:47 PM   #2

I doubt there will be a #4, since the Japanese have a superstition about 4 - something to do with death (?), I think.

The next one will probably be 5.

Garth
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 3:40 PM   #3

Interesting theory, but Nikon uses L4/P4/S4 etc.

But if Canon follows the same convention it established with the G-series, then yeah, the next S will be S5.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:41 PM   #4

With the announcement by Olympus of the SP 550 UZ with 18x zoom, 2 1/2 hi resolution screen, 7MP etc, I'm surprised Canon hasn't at least leaked that something new is coming. Amazon, One Call and probably others are already taking orders for the 550, delivery expected March 20th.

Personally, I don't "need" a new long lens digicam before next August, when I make my Yellowstone Park trip. I am very surprised that Canon hasn't gotten something out. Seems to me they will lose a lot of sales if they don't say something soon. In my case, I prefer Canon but am very interested in the 550.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 8:58 PM   #5

I think that Olympus did surprise the competition quite a bit with the SP 550 UZ. It will take quite a while for the competition to react to this challenge. Whether the competition has to react at all, depends on how good the SP 550 UZ actually is. Especially there are doubts about lens quality and image stabilisation. For instance, Canon, Panasonic etc. didn't have to react to the Samsung 815, because it didn't have image stabilisation.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:07 AM   #6

I'm curious about the Olympus 550 also. I really prefer Canon over Olympus (my first digital was an Olympus C-700), but if Olympus can really sell a good 18x optical zoom 7 megapixel ISO 5000 camera for $500, I'll definately consider it - after reading Steve's review and one or two others. But I have serious doubts that they can deliver the goods at that price without some major compromises.

I've been a happy S2 IS user since June 2005. I just wish it wasn't so noisy at ISO 200 & 400. I'm starting to seriously consider getting a d-SLR just so I can shoot at higher ISOs and keep noise under control, but I'm not looking forward to a larger and heavier camera.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:50 AM   #7

I agree that Olympus caught every one by surprise with the 550, speciallyPanasonic who just announced the FZ8 (still 12x zoom) and might have a hard time competing against the 550 (assuming that the 550 has good optics). If I have to guess,I say the next Canon will be a 15x zoom camera.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:37 PM   #8

DaveLundy wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious about the Olympus 550 also. I really prefer Canon over Olympus (my first digital was an Olympus C-700), but if Olympus can really sell a good 18x optical zoom 7 megapixel ISO 5000 camera for $500, I'll definately consider it - after reading Steve's review and one or two others. But I have serious doubts that they can deliver the goods at that price without some major compromises.

I've been a happy S2 IS user since June 2005. I just wish it wasn't so noisy at ISO 200 & 400. I'm starting to seriously consider getting a d-SLR just so I can shoot at higher ISOs and keep noise under control, but I'm not looking forward to a larger and heavier camera.
I would recommend the Fuji F30 to you (along with your S2IS) I have the S3IS and the FujiF30 - What a great combination! For about $250 you can getthe pocketable F30 that does extremely well at Higher ISO's. The noise levels on the F30 at ISO800 are comparable to other P&S cameras at ISO200!See attached F30 sample at ISO3200.Also keep an eye out for the S4/S5IS - it 'might' be announced shortly - Canon almost has to put something out there soon to combat the new Olympus.
Attached Images

Photofreak777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:36 PM   #9

Wow! I didn't know there was any compact camera with ISO 3200 capability. That is a nice clean image. Did you do any noise removal post processing? Too bad it has only 3x optical zoom.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:50 PM   #10

yeah, a very clean image. Wonder why Canon is so slow to date! Olympus have now the greatest zoom! Sony now has the fastest cmos sensors. What could possibly canonshow this time?
rongebriel is offline   Reply With Quote