Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1

I've been sort of planning on purchasing the new Olympus 550 UZ for it's 18X telephoto lens, strictly for my annual trips to Yellowstone where I love to photograph those great animals. There are things about the Oly that I'm not crazy about, based on preliminary reviews, lack of optical stabilization during videos, for example.

Since I like everything about the Canon S3 (I use the A710 now), especially the movie mode, it seems that maybe the S3 would be a great choice for me. I could add the Canon teleconverter for Yellowstone.

Would the S3 with Canon teleconverter be as user friendly as a straight 18X zoom? Would the final results on max zoom be about the same?

If anyone has used the S3 with teleconverter, I'd appreciate hearing their impressions.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:56 PM   #2

I would look into cropping the pic first before using a teleconvertor. You could still crop the pic 50% and still have a flawless 5x7. Most people don't go overboard on 8x10s so its just my suggestion.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:25 PM   #3

I purchased a Tokina 3x Teleconverter for my Canon. I am very unhappy with it . There is yellow fringining as you can see in the pic. I took many pictures and this is one of the few printables...not very good is it ??? I'd like to hear from other teleconverter owners.
Attached Images

johnny m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:50 PM   #4

i put a reply to your pevious post, please refer to that,

alan
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:26 AM   #5

I use a variety of teleconverters with my S3. A Nikon TC-E15ED, an Olympus TCON-17 and a CrystalVue SHD-20. I prefer the Nikon as it is tack sharp corner to corner and is quite light in weight. It is only 1.5X but it seems to be enough for birding, my favorite subject. This American Bittern is taken with this setup and is heavily cropped. ...Grix http://grix3378.fotopic.net
grix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:37 AM   #6

Grix,...can you give me a source for your Nikon TC, the adapters etc. Those are the best results I've seen so far. Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:27 AM   #7

Sure...The TC-E15 has a 50mm mounting thread...kinda offbeat. I ordered a 62mm to 50mm stepdown ring from http://www.nextphoto.net item nr SD6250 for $15. Then I got stepping rings from the local Ritz camera shop. I needed a 58 to 62mm since I have the 58mm lens conversion barrel. Also got other stepping rings as needed for my other cameras. But the 62 to 50mm is the hard one to find and Nextphoto was the onlyest place I could find it. Here's another pic taken with the S3/Nikon combo. ...Grix

http://grix3378.fotopic.net
grix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:36 AM   #8

Thanks Grix!
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:35 PM   #9

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
Grix,...can you give me a source for your Nikon TC, the adapters etc. Those are the best results I've seen so far. Thanks.
Buying a Nikon TC-E15ED 1.5x is quite expensive IF you can find one in online stores. The best source was on Ebay...I haven't seen any listed for the past few days, but if you watch and bid right, could win one for ~$100.

A 55-50mm step-ring can also be bought @ http://www.pemaraal.com/sr.html.Still needs another step-ring +or - depending on your lens adapter.

If you have a 52mm lens adapter then a 52-50mm step-ring could be bought/won @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1070%26fvi%3D1, no other step-ring needed. I use these, quality unknown, but they work.

Grix: I don't think I ever properly "Thanked" [email protected] dpreview.com for leading me to the Nikon tc, so I'll say it here, Thank you very much. I liked the Nikon somuch that I ended getting 2, along with a Sony VCL-HD1758 1.7x tc, for my "birdshooter" :-). I think you are right, the Nikon just delivers better IQ, as in my case,than the Sony.

bgin

pugs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:15 AM   #10

Here's an image with my S3 and the Canon teleconverter. I couldn't be happier with the combination.

JeffJeff is offline   Reply With Quote